I Forge Iron

Can you help me ID an anvil?

I bought this anvil last week and I've been pretty busy so I finally got around to taking some good pictures today. For some reason my flash wouldn't work so I had to rely on a florescent work light for lighting. I just signed up here last night and I found that some of you are very knowledgable about anvils. I have an idea of what it might be, but I wanted someone more familiar with anvils to verify or deny what I'm thinking.

WARNING: Pictures are huge....sorry

post-15635-0-75287600-1290025397_thumb.j

post-15635-0-32759600-1290025444_thumb.j

post-15635-0-20999300-1290025487_thumb.j

post-15635-0-02210000-1290025528_thumb.j

I bought this anvil last week and I've been pretty busy so I finally got around to taking some good pictures today. For some reason my flash wouldn't work so I had to rely on a florescent work light for lighting. I just signed up here last night and I found that some of you are very knowledgable about anvils. I have an idea of what it might be, but I wanted someone more familiar with anvils to verify or deny what I'm thinking.

WARNING: Pictures are huge....sorry

It looks like a Hay Budden. It appears like there is the remanents of the word 'BROOKLYN' on the first picture, which was where Hay Buddens were made.

If you have any pictures of the front of the base, there might be a serial number. That would allow someone with the book Anvils in America by Richard Postman to give you an approximate year of manufacture of your anvil.

Hay Budden for sure. Interesting-My shop anvil is a 200# Hay Budden.Same amount of BR from Brooklyn and NY showing.Had it for years and didn't know what it was until I bought "Anvils in America" this year. What a gem of a book!!Somebody put the same zillion pock marks in a couple of my old anvils as though they made a lot of the same sort of tool and were testing the points on the side of the Anvil?

Hay Budden it is! I thought it was an American Wrought because it was closest to the picture of the American Wrought anvils over at anvilfire.com. The man I bought it from has a Peter Wright that his uncle had given him. At first he gave me the choice, and I told him to keep the Wright anvil because I knew the name and thought he would regret getting rid of an heirloom anvil. Those are dense anvils. He let me bounce a hammer off of both of them and there is a world of difference.

Here's the picture of the serial number and a 1 also seems to be stamped into the end. Funny I didn't see the number before I knew where to look. Same thing happened looking for the serial number on my Kubota tractor when I bought it. Here's the picture.

post-15635-0-01431700-1290045146_thumb.j

Here's the picture of the serial number and a 1 also seems to be stamped into the end. Funny I didn't see the number before I knew where to look. Same thing happened looking for the serial number on my Kubota tractor when I bought it. Here's the picture.

Your anvil was manufactured in 1907 according to Anvils in America by Richard Postman.

Strange thing is the 1 standing proud. My H-Bs have inspectors # stamped in not cast.
Ken.

I believe that inspector's # is stamped, just an optical delusion like this pic of my 10 cav Hall mould.

10cav-f.jpg

As you can plainly see there are still bullets in it...or are there?

• 2 weeks later...