I Forge Iron

20 lbs Hay Budden whats it worth, Tiny Anvil-Tiny Price?

Havnt keep up with anvil prices lately, 10 years ago a tiny forged anvil often brought more that a big one, anyway what do u think a Hay Budden marked 20 lbs, but weighs 23lbs on the bathroom scales in good condition, edges sharp would bring, not perfect but nice. Second question, the old Hay Budden Ads sold the anvils in 10lbs increments, at least the adds I have seen, would that account why one marked 20 would weigh 23 or did Hey Budden mark them exact weight and It should be stamped 23lbs, ??? Under the Anvil Topic someone was good enough to post a 1914 Hay Budden catalog and it starts with 10lb then 20lb then so on by 10 pound till 100 lbs then they did 25 lbs increments, so did you order a 20 pound anvil and they round up or down and you might get one that was within 5 pounds of what you ordered, any one Know, I just checked my HB farrier's anvil with 2 factory pritchel holes (I was glad to see an add for one in Postman's Book), it is stamped in even number 160, I haven't weighed it, (just assumed it was 160)so now wondering if it may be more or less as well

post-9920-0-24176900-1289336257_thumb.jp

post-9920-0-40202100-1289336758_thumb.jp

It's worthless. Send it my way. I'll dispose of it.

In reality, quality anvils under 50 pounds usually fetch a premium (per pound) compared to larger anvils. I would guess at least $20/pound to the right buyer.

If I remember correctly, the smallest size Fisher made (around 2 pounds???) brought somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 recently.

If I remember correctly, the smallest size Fisher made (around 2 pounds???) brought somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 recently.

That just makes me cry! I was doing occupational therapy for tennis elbow and carpal tunnel about a year ago and they were using what had to be around a 10 pound fisher as a clay forging anvil - can't remember the name of the excercise but they had me pretty much forging lumps of clay with my fists and individual fingers.... Thought it was an awefully cute paperweight!

Had a hardy and pritchel hole too...

TinyBigSmoke,

I have one HB with 2 pritchel holes that weighs in at 163 pounds on the bathroom scale and a smaller one(only one pritchel hole) that weighs 112 pounds. I don't think I bothered to look if they were marked for weight, I just use them.

I used to have a couple of tiny "Record" anvils when I was in UK. I never weighed them but they weren't much bigger than a packet of cigarettes. They were a promotional thing but were actually quite hard. My boys used to mess around with them hammering paper clips flat etc. I don't know whatever happened to them. (The anvils that is. I know what happened to the boys).

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth, I bought a 40# Hay Budden anvil in good condition for $120 including shipping about 10 years ago. It had a number of chips along the edges which had been repaired fairly skillfully by the seller with Stoody hard facing rod .

It is pretty handy to have one that size and sees most of it's use are a bench anvil for sheet metal work or taken to a job site for light duty tweaking. The repairs have help up just fine for that kind of service.

It was shipped unwrapped with my name and address written on the face with felt pen.

That price would be a screaming bargain today [ or not ]

Did you tie that string to it so it wouldn't run off? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd ask you send it to me but someone already offered...

Hi, funny story, spent too much time on a computer, computer was sitting on a dresser, i was on a low stool, I was having computer problems and spent 8 hours straight working at odd angle my mouse was about shoulder level, well I threw my neck out and pinched a nerve, didn't know it till the next day, had to put the old neck in traction and I used the anvil as a weight on the traction, thus the string tied to the anvil, I forgot all about it, till u mentioned the string on the anvil

HB anvil are forged, so some variation is to be expected. The weight on the anvil is what they ended up with.

Your small HB would probably bring $1000+ on E+++ now. There are a few real serious HB collectors out there that pay a premium for any HB under 50 lbs. The smaller, the higher the rate.

Good grief man, don't, don't, please don't sell it to a collector. Keep it and use it. I would buy any anvil under 125 lb I could find. But here in Alaska they are as rare as hens teeth. Net result of that is I had to buy a brand new one and have it shipped up from the lower 48. I recently found a 300# anvil in Big Lake Alaska on craigslist for $2000. In the lower 48 thats maybe a $600 - $800 anvil, unless its bought by a collector.