I Forge Iron

Forging video's showing various size stock

I set up one of the demo Anyang 55 lb hammers and used a new Tabasco Chili forge to draw out four different sizes of stock. I forged a taper from 1" square stock, 1.5" square stock. All of these forgings were done with flat dies and one heat. I could only post 2 video's on this thread so I created a second thread for 2" and 1 by 4" stock.

Awesome!!!! Good to see some video James. The 55 looks like a great hammer. Let's see some video of the 165 :DB)

What's the die size on the 55? Is that a factory base?

I'm not in front of the hammer now but the die size is approximately 2 by 4" and yes, this is the factory base that I am now using on all hammers.

Pretty impressive James.... I have no real world experience with side by side comparison but my feeling by watching that video that most fabricated hammers would have to be at least twice the tup weight to be comparable... the exception being the Iron Kiss... I bet the 75lb Iron Kiss would do at least as much work if not a bit more... At any rate it shows how much work can be done in one heat with a relatively small hammer...

Thanks for taking the time and producing the videos...

G'Day James,
That 25 kg / 55 lb hammer sure looks nice , wish i hadda gone that size instead of the 15 kg/ 33 lb ... oh well

1 question thou , no tong ring's ? First thing MOONY drummed inta my thick skull was ta use tong rings mate . Noticed in the first vid you had a " slight " release while hammerin' .

Tell me ta pull me head if ifin youse want , but better ta be " safe " then sorry

Dale Russell

G'Day James,
That 25 kg / 55 lb hammer sure looks nice , wish i hadda gone that size instead of the 15 kg/ 33 lb ... oh well

1 question thou , no tong ring's ? First thing MOONY drummed inta my thick skull was ta use tong rings mate . Noticed in the first vid you had a " slight " release while hammerin' .

Tell me ta pull me head if ifin youse want , but better ta be " safe " then sorry

Dale Russell

Dale, I agree.. I do use tong rings, especially when forging all day. I just didn't on this video... I think maybe next year I will be able to visit Mooney's place. I took some of his friends from Australia out for beers at the ABANA conference. The Aussies know how to have a good time.

Monster, Thanks for the compliments... I think it would be interesting for people who have the various size air hammers (from the 50 lb machines up to the over 100 lb machines) post video's of them working the 2X2 and the 1X4 to better understand what the capacities really are... using flat dies and one heat. I will also be doing the same type of video's on the 88 and 165 obviously using larger stock. I do know on the 165, I have worked up to 3" X 5" stock.

G'Day James,

Dale Russell

But,,,,, notice how you can never find a link at Moonys when you want to use the ammer, thats normally the 1st job, make a link. 2nd job set a pair of tongs to what you want to forge, (I just take my own now, tongs and links) I reckon he hides them after we leave, probly got a draw full of them some where by now.

Phil