I Forge Iron

Looking to learn in Upstate NY

quinn2e

Hello -

I live in the upstate NY area and hoping to connect with folks who can direct me to some basic workshops or someone willing to teach in the upstate NY or New England area. I have no experience outside of some basic tinsmithing and an intense lifelong desire to learn! I am hoping to do this over the next couple months as I finally (temporarily) have some time - so would like to do this ASAP.

Any leads or resources would be much appreciated!

How far upstate? New England Blacksmiths http://newenglandblacksmiths.org/ have meets here in Vermont sometimes, and we have a local group with occasional meets at various guys shops. Just across the lake if you are WAY upstate. Drop me a PM if you want to be on the mailing list for the Green Mtn. Blacksmith's Assn.

The NYSDBA (New York State Designer Blacksmith Artists) has 5 chapters in NY, I'm in western NY east of Rochester. We have regional chapters, Niagara, southern tier, adirondacks, mohawk and genessee (mine) feel free to message me and I'll put you in touch with whatever group you wish! good luck, lots to learn.

I should have been more specific - I am in the capital region - near Albany NY. Having difficulty finding workshops and/or someone willing to teach close by - per my willingness to travel!

I definitly plan to follow the leads provided - so thanks to those who posted. If anyone knows of anyone in the NYS capital region it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again