I Forge Iron

Kydex tomahawk sheath question

Andrew Smith

Hey guys, I have a customer who wants a kydex sheath and he wants to be able to strap the sheath onto his back pack and just pull straight down on the handle to get the hawk out of the sheath. I made one but I haven't been working with kydex very long so my question is this, Will the kydex eventually loosen up or will it stay the same?

Here are the pics of the sheath. The hawk won't come out if you pull it straight down but if you sort of pull the blade point down first, like the second pic shows, then it works great.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

Thanks in advance,

-Andrew

Kydex is a hard, tough plastic material that is very flexible when you heat it to around 150-200F but is hard when it cools. When it's hot it can be molded. It is used in a lot of military stuff and tactical equipment. You can use it for gun holsters, sheaths and pretty much anything you can think of.

I am not too familiar with using kydex, but I would imagine as with any material, eventually stress will get to it and it will crack or warp. probably just crack. it seems to me Cold steel make some pretty good blades and have a reputation to uphold, and they use it for most of their tactical line of knife sheaths, as do tons of other companies. I would assume it will last for some time before there are any problems. I have a knife and sheath from Cold Steel (the original Cold Steel Recon Tanto)I carried with me in Iraq back in 2003, the sheath is kydex and still in great shape and holding strong.

Andrew
Kydex will hold its shape and not give any for years.
You could safely cut the sheath you made to just below the bottom of the bit and take out the bottom rivet. Making it easier to unsheath but you will never be able to resheath it with it on your back. Curling the edges out at the bottom by hand with a heat gun and gloves works good and will make it a little esier to resheath.

Bob