I Forge Iron

Power hammer texturing - Reptile

Spears

Last summer was hot and I was a slacker for getting artwork done so upon finding good stock I crazily made a bunch of dies for my self made air hammer. I like to enter art exhibitions from time to time and I have taken awards. Problem is, having to go up against those with the capabilities for doing cast bronze figuratives and most of the time I lose. The presence of forged and welded steel is next to nothing in these art shows and going in with leaves, twists and scrolls like what someone could buy from King metals just isn’t going to cut it!

The follow pictures are of the first tryout of these dies I made to mimic reptile skin. I have ideas of making some realistic looking creatures with that deep beeswax pewter finish but have had a real slow year at getting into my art. This first attempt at a tail turned out rather well for me so I figured some of you might get a kick out of it. Check out how the overlapping strikes actually do and don’t make a desired finish. Enjoy. Spears.
post-9545-003647800 1288366822_thumb.jpgpost-9545-090037000 1288366833_thumb.jpgpost-9545-010134200 1288366863_thumb.jpgpost-9545-036563300 1288366881_thumb.jpgpost-9545-003176600 1288366898_thumb.jpgpost-9545-099445000 1288366913_thumb.jpgpost-9545-047325000 1288366964_thumb.jpgpost-9545-063963000 1288366978_thumb.jpgpost-9545-049105400 1288366994_thumb.jpg

Very good, you must be pleased how that turned out, making a successful tool is very rewarding,keep on experimenting.

Thanks David. At this point in time, my Blacksmithing and artwork don’t extend to far beyond an experiment. I do some really nice work at times, but it will take me 30 minutes or more to do what a real Blacksmith does in five or less. That’s ok because right now it is just a hobby. I would like to get more involved with it and go to some shows and seminars. Time and resources for taking classes is a little tight right now. Self taught leaves me with a lot of gaps to fill but I can look at things on this forum and develop as I can. I try to post pictures of my tooling in case someone is looking for similar ideas. For now I have to try and practice more and obtain more hand tools. Regards, Spears.

Hey Spears! Very cool textures. Can I steal it? I know there's no copyright. I just make it a policy to ask and respect the originators wishes.

Absolutely, steal away! The more tooling and power hammers that are out there, the better the chances I have of getting inspired to do more. A month ago I took a few days vacation (it had been a while)and visited Pensacola Florida. I was a bit bummed out to venture in there and not find any blacksmithing or iron work. Not that I expect to see it everywhere but you know it adds a nice touch when you travel. Not a whole lot of this stuff to be seen everywhere in the world. This forum is important to promote something really cool that not to many people do. Please post some pictures if you throw together some tools. It helps feed the addiction. Spears.

"... Problem is, having to go up against those with the capabilities for doing cast bronze figuratives and most of the time I lose. The presence of forged and welded steel is next to nothing in these art shows and going in with leaves, twists and scrolls like what someone could buy from King metals just isn’t going to cut it!..."(Spears)

Spears,neat texture!Good for you,to be addressing something that thoroughly,as to be making texturing dies!Right on!

I must take issue with your statement above(trying to learn to quote,finally,see if it works(unsuccessful,oh well):
I believe that it's our job,as ironworkers,to educate the public INSPITE the kind of an impresion that the automated,dumbed-down production methods create.
Take Sam Yellin,for instance.As exellent of a smith as he himself was,the design elements that he mostly draws upon were ANCIENT.They were ambient in the European landscape of the times of his apprenticeship(s).(Also of the guys' that he had working with him).
The Craft was staggering,and dying,even then,and he did a LOT to resurrect it by simply employing the traditional,ambient smithing lore.
Now,comparing forged and cast work is weird to begin with,apples and oranges-like,but i think/hope we are on the same page here.And right here,on that very selfsame page,at a price of some research,and (much) thought,there's a TREMENDOUS opportunity to favorably showcase the plastic deformation of iron vs it's poor cousin,casting.(Non-ferrous especially).
It's not a problem,it's a challenge!!!
Best of luck with everything,and i'm terribly envious of your air-hammer,great job on all the tooling!

A person on another forum wanted to see some cold work so the dies were tried on cold sheet copper non-annealed .032” thick. Overlapping multiple strikes did not look very pleasing (small piece) and left a rough texture. Using my hammer “single stroke” the copper looked ok with minimal overlap (bigger piece). Striking hot iron seemed to me to look good both conditions. Here’s some pics. Spears.

post-9545-0-12512800-1289229805_thumb.jp post-9545-0-01425000-1289229818_thumb.jp post-9545-0-94626900-1289229832_thumb.jp post-9545-0-43165000-1289229845_thumb.jp post-9545-0-56939700-1289229855_thumb.jp post-9545-0-91776900-1289229869_thumb.jp post-9545-0-08416100-1289229903_thumb.jp

I think you`re right,it does seem the iron accepts it better.The overlapping hits just seem to tear the copper up.The single hits on both copper and iron do look rather useful for both reptile and marine use.Many crustaceans have a pebbled shell and it is close enough to fishscales to pass for it in more abstract work.
This looks like something that would lend itself well to the slower speed and increased control of a flypress,especially with non-ferrous metals.
It might also be easier to match up edges in order to cover a wide area and void overlap if the impact area of the dies were square rather than round.
Just some thoughts on the process.
I look forward to seeing where you take this,it`s very interesting.

"... Problem is, having to go up against those with the capabilities for doing cast bronze figuratives and most of the time I lose. The presence of forged and welded steel is next to nothing in these art shows and going in with leaves, twists and scrolls like what someone could buy from King metals just isn’t going to cut it!..."(Spears)

Spears,neat texture!Good for you,to be addressing something that thoroughly,as to be making texturing dies!Right on!

I must take issue with your statement above(trying to learn to quote,finally,see if it works(unsuccessful,oh well):
I believe that it's our job,as ironworkers,to educate the public INSPITE the kind of an impresion that the automated,dumbed-down production methods create.
Take Sam Yellin,for instance.As exellent of a smith as he himself was,the design elements that he mostly draws upon were ANCIENT.They were ambient in the European landscape of the times of his apprenticeship(s).(Also of the guys' that he had working with him).
The Craft was staggering,and dying,even then,and he did a LOT to resurrect it by simply employing the traditional,ambient smithing lore.
Now,comparing forged and cast work is weird to begin with,apples and oranges-like,but i think/hope we are on the same page here.And right here,on that very selfsame page,at a price of some research,and (much) thought,there's a TREMENDOUS opportunity to favorably showcase the plastic deformation of iron vs it's poor cousin,casting.(Non-ferrous especially).
It's not a problem,it's a challenge!!!
Best of luck with everything,and i'm terribly envious of your air-hammer,great job on all the tooling!

Don't mean to sound like I don't have an appreciation for the specific types of work some people might do. I can identify and lay value to it based on the detailed aspects of certain hand works. I just took some of it into a world where it wasn't found and as advanced or unique as it was, came up dry. Because I like to compete, I'm putting together some things that perhaps might get recognized by the modern art world and maybe they can learn to appreciate hammered iron. Thank you for your comments and input. Peace, Spears.

I think you`re right,it does seem the iron accepts it better.The overlapping hits just seem to tear the copper up.The single hits on both copper and iron do look rather useful for both reptile and marine use.Many crustaceans have a pebbled shell and it is close enough to fishscales to pass for it in more abstract work.
This looks like something that would lend itself well to the slower speed and increased control of a flypress,especially with non-ferrous metals.
It might also be easier to match up edges in order to cover a wide area and void overlap if the impact area of the dies were square rather than round.
Just some thoughts on the process.
I look forward to seeing where you take this,it`s very interesting.

Cool tooling.

The thing I've found with power hammer texturing is that it's hard to get a positive or protruding texture. Hammers are very good at cutting or incising impressions but not that great at the former, as you've found with your experiment unless you hold the workpiece in one position, which is usually difficult. Roller printing would be awesome for the type of texture you are after. A press would be good if the material is thick.

One of my art professors said "Ya want to sell a painting? Make sure its got texture"

Spears,
The snake effect is 'bril' I hope you do'nt mind if we 'steal with our eyes'
To get similar on the copper sheet tack a small ball bearing(we sometimes use fancy ie. tamperproof cordless screwdriver bits) on the face of a light hammer and beat on a piece of conveyor belt. Make yourself a 'padle' 3" wide 15"(longer if you have large pieces of copper) long from a piece of plank reduce one end to a handle(like an old fashioned kiddy-whaker as my boys put it) every now and then you turn the sheet back side up and whack it flat, turn back over and continue texturing.
Once you get the knack you'll be surprised as the how fast and easy it is to texture copper sheeting. B)
Copper work hardens quite quickly, just heat and quench to aneal!
Ian