I Forge Iron

Keep breaking bits

Thanks for the link.

Question - the text says, "align the axis parallel to the flat side of the wheel and gently remove the sharp positive rake edge of the drill lips, equally on both sides."

Instead of taking it to a grinder, couldn't I just do this with a stone and the bit chucked / spinning in the drill press, especially since I'm dealing with a 1/16" diameter bit?

I don't see any mention there of copper, just brass/bronze. Brass drills totally different than copper does. All of our twist drills are left razor sharp, and we machine literally tons of copper a month. The main thing with copper is oil, and clearing the chips.

Speaking of brass..... How tough would it be to make spheres out of it like I did with copper?

Speaking of brass..... How tough would it be to make spheres out of it like I did with copper?

Depending on the variety of brass it may be easier or harder. Remember that many, if not most, brass has lead in it. Bronze can be lumped in with brass too as it is also a copper alloy.

Phil

Lead? Didn't know that. Thanks. Not the best thing to make a rosary out of then.

There are lead free variates, and also the melting point is low enough that you can alloy your own rather easily needing only a suitable melting pot to add to your (rather excellent looking) forge.

Selecting a lead free alloy is just as simple as looking up the spec sheets.

Phil

Free-machining brass has lead in it. That's what makes it free-machining.

Lead is something to be careful with, but most brass is alloyed with zinc. (Traditionally, copper-zinc alloys are brass and copper-tin alloys are bronze, but there is some overlap in the nomenclature.) You should be able to find some brass that can be formed using the same techniques.