I Forge Iron

2 forges with a single propane cylinder?

Matthew Gregory

Is there any way to utilize a manifold or something of the sort to distribute gas from a single 100lb propane cylinder to 2 forges? I've got a blown vertical forge, and am finishing up the build on a venturi horizontal forge and need to get rolling on the plumbing - however I'm stuck with not knowing how to do this properly, or if I should be doing it this way at all!

I don't need this forge to do anything other than reach forging heat, as I've got a heat treating oven, and the vertical forge gets hella hot! ; )

all you need is a tee at the tank, and then regulator for each forge seperatly. I'm n ot sure if the tank can hold up to two forges. there might be som eissue with it freezing up like a grill tank does on a single forge. I have never tried this nor have i heard of anyone trying. so let me know how it turns out.

Zoeller's tank manifold kit is built in a way that you can run 2 regulators off 1 bottle OR 1 regulator and 2 bottles.

You could also look into propane quick connects (grainger and mcmaster carr I believe carry them) and swap your hose and regulator between forges...

Phil

Didn't mean to imply that I'd be running both forges at the same time, as I won't. It just seems silly to have a bunch of tanks if I'm only using one at a time! :)

if your only running one forge at a time, then a tee and two regulators will get you what you're looking for. it sounds like you want one tank, and the ability to walk in pick a forge and fire it up, without messing with changing out lines and moving regulators.

so one tank a tee and then two regulators and hoses. I see no reason you shouldn't be able to run two forges off of one tank with that set up. but like I said if you intend to run both, at the same time, I'm not sure if you will run into freezing problems.

I run two forges off one tank ( 100 lb ) at the same time with one regulator. I run 1/2 " gas line from outside about 25 ft. then a Y valve just before the seprate lines to each forge. It works fine. I just use a higher regulator pressure, set at about 30 PSI. If you would like I will post a photo for you.

Mathew, If you are only going to run one forge at a time you don't even need to buy another regulator. Just make up a simple setup with a short piece of hose from your regulator to a tee and couple up both forges to the single regulator at your tank. Just remember that you will have gas pressure in the hoses to both forges unless you add valves at the split. At the Abana conference in Memphis I ran some of the forges in the teaching station as teed pairs from a single 100 pound cylinder with no problems. (Both my single burners and the two burner BAM forges were hooked up this way.) Steve G