I Forge Iron

Ive just bought...

FWIW, I have a good friend that is the service manager at one of the major welding suppliers here in town and he says that Miller and all the other major welding machine manufactures will only last about 5yrs. I have a display board in my Miller Syncrowave 200 that has gone bad, machine has less than 19 hours on it. Cost for new board==$648.97+tax, cost of complete new machine==$2800.00range. It is out of the 3YR warrantee and Miller won't make it good. go figure. He told me that is typical with all of the "new technology" welding equipment, also goes with Plasma cutters.

I have a Thermal Arc Inverter that I use for tig welding. I can use it for arc welding but don't have it set up for that. I've had it for about 8 years and use it for steel and aluminum welding. It is great for both types of metals. I got it when electricity bills were going out of this world and it uses a lot less than other machines. Have a great time with it and enjoy it.

FWIW, I have a good friend that is the service manager at one of the major welding suppliers here in town and he says that Miller and all the other major welding machine manufactures will only last about 5yrs. I have a display board in my Miller Syncrowave 200 that has gone bad, machine has less than 19 hours on it. Cost for new board==$648.97+tax, cost of complete new machine==$2800.00range. It is out of the 3YR warrantee and Miller won't make it good. go figure. He told me that is typical with all of the "new technology" welding equipment, also goes with Plasma cutters.

This is the kind of thing that worries me, although I hope that it will have paid for itself rather sooner than five years!

I agree about the millers but not all other major brands. It is good of him to admit that miller quality has fallen way off, but Lincoln remains good and Thermal Dynamics, another american manufacturer has a long proven track record of reliability. Lincoln also makes a line of aluminum wound crap welders to sell at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, K-mart Etc. Miller's worst offence was buying Hobart Brothers and dismantleing it.