I Forge Iron

My first nimba

I think that idea came from the Kohlswa anvils that came out in the 80's and early 90's. they were soft coming from the factory. From what I heard could be work hardened by giving them a peening all over the face. I had one of those nice looking anvil but lets just say I was not impressed. I think they fixed the problem on later anvils.

Thanks for the imput guys. I may have used a bad word in referring to the mighty NIMBA.......Peening. I obviously used the wrong word. I could swear though that I read something about cast steel anvils and relieving internal stressses before heavy use by "tapping" the entire face with a hammer lightly. Maybe I should stop reading then. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question to the experienced guys. Any members from MN out there?

Maybe you mis-remembered this, from Old World Anvils?

Should you ding your anvil face (most anvils will eventually get a ding or two) you can lessen the size of the ding by lightly hammering the high points of the ding with a small ball pein hammer. Rotate the ball pein 360 degrees around the area you are striking with the ball pein. Old World Anvils work harden as you use them, because they are a high carbon, manganese alloy. The manganese helps in the work hardening process.