I Forge Iron

Post Vice Gave Up!

tlreif

Score! We were straightening up a corner of the shop that hasnt been touched in the 13 years that I have worked there and sitting on a shelf that was buried was several acme threaded rods from various machines. I picked out the largest one which was 1.250 and it had a heavy steel nut with it. Asked the boss about it and he said it had come from some old lathe. the best part is he said I could just have it. So i guess I know how im going to fix the vice!

Took a look at the Enco flier at work today, and they have Acme threaded rods, and nuts on a special.

Are you sure the original was cast, or was it machined from a forging? I was going to suggest 7018 if it was due to it's ability to hold chrome-moly's to other materials. You already did the post heat which is good, as 4140 can get brittle at the weld.

Todd. Awesome. Almost seems as if the Cosmos is telling you to fix that vise! :) I love bringing old tools back to life. With the big vise back in service, you could put your 4" vise right next the the forge, I find having a small vise there very useful for light work.

...Are you sure the original was cast, or was it machined from a forging? I was going to suggest 7018 if it was due to it's ability to hold chrome-moly's to other materials. ....

Doc, if you are asking me, I am not sure. I recall discussing the question of forging vs casting on Anvilfire and Turley made a couple of comments. It sparked like a casting, not steel or iron and on close examination it looked like a casting. The box had cracked which ruled out trying to save the original thread in my mind. In light of the discussion and my own examination I decided to go ahead as if it were a casting. I probably should have used a special CI rod but I thought I would try the SS first since I had some on hand and it had worked on a couple of other high carbon items where the welds had previously failed.

Plan B was to braze or braze weld the parts together. Brazing seemed like too much work in mating the surfaces.

Plan C was to come up with something that would serve instead of the boss. That wouldnt have been too hard. Perhaps a large trailer hitch ball.

Yes Maddog it does seem like the cosmos is trying to tell me something. More likely get off that fat rear end and do something!! I don't know what it is lately . I just can't seem to get into much. Maybe this will get me moving. This and the guy that did the airbrush work on my power hammer is calling in the favor. I have to front hinge the hood on his dodge truck.

• 3 weeks later...