I Forge Iron

TFS smithy special

I am going to Sedona Arizona for a wedding and some rest and relaxation in two weeks. I am currently in the market for a european style anvil. I have been kicking around the euroanvil, ozark pattern, and the smithy special. Pieh tool is right by where i will be in arizona, and they offer a 400# smithy special for under $1300. Just curious if anyone here has any experience with TFS anvils as i would not have to pay for shipping, and could afford a larger 400 pounder if i picked it up from pieh tool while in Sedona. Any commentary would be appreciated.

I am going to Sedona Arizona for a wedding and some rest and relaxation in two weeks. I am currently in the market for a european style anvil. I have been kicking around the euroanvil, ozark pattern, and the smithy special. Pieh tool is right by where i will be in arizona, and they offer a 400# smithy special for under $1300. Just curious if anyone here has any experience with TFS anvils as i would not have to pay for shipping, and could afford a larger 400 pounder if i picked it up from pieh tool while in Sedona. Any commentary would be appreciated.

Your vehicle PMed me and said to warn you that if you even think about throwing an anvil like that in the trunk you will be sorry.AAA will not even BEGIN to cover the things it has in mind for you.
Consider yourself warned. ;)

400#s isn't much different than having a couple large friends sitting in the back...sure the weight is behind the axel if it is the trunk and the leverage is different. Just don't pack much else back there and try to get the weight as far forward in the trunk as possible, make getting the anvil one of the last things you do so it isn't bouncing around for such a long time and if you are still a bit worried then drive a heavy duty truck to the wedding. ;)

On 10/4/2010 at 11:40 AM, Marcus Hopfinger said:

400#s isn't much different than having a couple large friends sitting in the back...sure the weight is behind the axel if it is the trunk and the leverage is different. Just don't pack much else back there and try to get the weight as far forward in the trunk as possible, make getting the anvil one of the last things you do so it isn't bouncing around for such a long time and if you are still a bit worried then drive a heavy duty truck to the wedding. ;)

Or put the anvil in the back seat footwell. Then it's between the axles and really _is_ the same weight distribution as people in the backseat would give. If you put it in the trunk, try to get it as far forward as possible. That much weight right by the bumper could make your steering skittery in some cars.

When I found my 350 pound Fisher I was going through a carless period, so I borrowed a big old Ford Fairlane from a friend. The seller and I got the anvil into the trunk (not sure how, it took four people to get it out!) but we loaded it all the way back and off to the right side as well. Those old Detroit Dinosaurs had really long overhangs, so the car tilted down at the rear corner almost as if I'd taken that wheel all the way off. The car was driveable, but looked awful.

So I went by the owner's place on the way home. Thanked him for the car, as if I had finished the job, and told him everything went well "except that something went twang as we crossed the tracks, and it's sitting funny now." He looked out the window and yelled "Holy xxxx!!!!" and went running out there. Then I showed him the anvil and after he chased me around the car a couple of times he started laughing. The car was actually not harmed by all this; in fact I had occasion to buy it from him a couple of years later.

I would say go for it, but really look at putting some wood blocks in the rear footwells and setting your new anvil there. The car will handle the load much better, and just plain handle better too. And get help, at both ends of the trip. Two people can handle that much under ideal conditions, but bending over into a car is far from ideal. It's the only back you've got, and it needs to last you....

Conrad Hodson

Wow, you guys are way off topic. Thanks for the responses...i think. :rolleyes: I was asking what anyone knows about TFS anvils. I am driving my 2010 duramax quad cab 4x4 out there, and it could pull a house, so i don't think hauling anything will be a problem. Actually my plan fell apart as shipping will cost me $75 less to have it drop shipped to my home! If i have it shipped to the store it will be more!