I Forge Iron

Want to buy a press for forging

Timothy Miller

that video is awesome grant reminds me of a light saber when that thing picks up the heat

I really want a giant press and induction rig

I can find a use for it lol

the only disadvantage to the friction press unless you have a pair of them is that you cant set up it to do two operations like you can with a hydrulic setup

and it seems a little less easy to control once it goes your on your own

for drifting that might make it tricky to keep stuff centered or prevent it from breaking tools and whatnot.

that video is awesome grant reminds me of a light saber when that thing picks up the heat

I really want a giant press and induction rig

I can find a use for it lol

the only disadvantage to the friction press unless you have a pair of them is that you cant set up it to do two operations like you can with a hydrulic setup

and it seems a little less easy to control once it goes your on your own

for drifting that might make it tricky to keep stuff centered or prevent it from breaking tools and whatnot.

Why could you not set up 2 operations the same as a hydraulic press?

Control is the big advantage of a friction press over a crank shaft press. You can come down as heavy or light as you want or as far as you choose. Take a look at this video and you'll see where I give a couple light strokes.

Certainly much less than a hydraulic press. Mine is currently running on a 7-1/2 hp motor (should have a 10). You get speed and power. But a hydraulic press can deliver full power at any point in it's stroke. The screw press needs it's whole stroke to develop full power. One elegant point often overlooked on the screw press is that the "gear ratio" is constantly changing as the flywheel contacts varying diameters on the driving wheel, so it is being accelerated as it comes down.And it's easy to get it started down as it's in "low gear" at the top of the stroke.

Certainly much less than a hydraulic press. Mine is currently running on a 7-1/2 hp motor (should have a 10). You get speed and power. But a hydraulic press can deliver full power at any point in it's stroke. The screw press needs it's whole stroke to develop full power. One elegant point often overlooked on the screw press is that the "gear ratio" is constantly changing as the flywheel contacts varying diameters on the driving wheel, so it is being accelerated as it comes down.And it's easy to get it started down as it's in "low gear" at the top of the stroke.

That is elegant.

I guess you could setup 2 stations side by side but they wouldnt be able to run independantly both would always run unless you had some type of setup to engage and disengage.

if you had a slitter and then a drift it might be a bit weird because the drift needs to travel further than the slitter to do its job.

a tricky blacksmith could figure it out but you would need enough room in the frame to fit everything in there you need 2 spring loaded plates to support the bottom or different sizes holes in plates you swap out which would probley be best if the press isnt A BIG ONE

you could make it work do you use your friction press for drifting?

I see you can be pretty delicate with the beast, friction drive is pretty interesting setup lots of power for sure

I have some old Z&H literature. It goes like this. Z&H rate the press as thepost-15154-004323300 1285722322_thumb.jppost-15154-087200900 1285722333_thumb.jppost-15154-048489800 1285722347_thumb.jp square of the number. 5=25 ton, #7=50 ton, #8 1/2=75ton,
#10=100 ton, #12=150 ton. The tonnage is somewhat(a small fraction) adjustable by stacking hardened plates under the die. The percussion press hits hardest on the last fraction of the drive wheel. Here are some pictures of the machines I have left. I love them like my dogs!My dogs take up less room!
John
Asking price is as follows: Z&H #5-$900, #7-$1,900, #12- $3,500 , Osterwalder 125-$4,000

John,

Did you use these machines for coining? Also it looks like they were all controlled with pneumatics, was this for high repetition? Care to share any die work?

Thanks,

I guess you could setup 2 stations side by side but they wouldnt be able to run independantly both would always run unless you had some type of setup to engage and disengage.

if you had a slitter and then a drift it might be a bit weird because the drift needs to travel further than the slitter to do its job.

a tricky blacksmith could figure it out but you would need enough room in the frame to fit everything in there you need 2 spring loaded plates to support the bottom or different sizes holes in plates you swap out which would probley be best if the press isnt A BIG ONE

you could make it work do you use your friction press for drifting?

I see you can be pretty delicate with the beast, friction drive is pretty interesting setup lots of power for sure

How would you do it in a hydraulic press?

Why would something be better not done in the big one?

Take a look at how David did it here: ---click---> Punching wit a hydraulic press

How would you do it in a hydraulic press?

Why would something be better not done in the big one?

Take a look at how David did it here: ---click---> Punching wit a hydraulic press

I was meaning the smaller press might not have enough room in between the frame for all the tooling.

yours is a 50 ton? it looks like it has enough room but a small one might not

you would also need to figure out how far you can go with the drift because it needing more travel could have you put the 2 slitting chisels right into themselves without noticing.

can you setup a friction press with a stop easily or do they have one built in usually?

with a hydraulic setup you can just add another cylinder or cylinders as long as it fits in the frame.

John,

Did you use these machines for coining? Also it looks like they were all controlled with pneumatics, was this for high repetition? Care to share any die work?

Thanks,

The Z&H have two hand pnumatic palm buttons. The Osterwalder can be switched from two palm buttons to foot pedal and has hydrwulic controls . They were used for cold striking brass insignia. They were oiled twice per day when they were run. You can see the oil on the gibbs and running down the arms!