I Forge Iron

Want to buy a press for forging

Timothy Miller

I want to buy a press for forging. I am thinking of a getting friction screw press. These seem hard to come by. I am open to hydraulic presses as well. I would like to get the most flexible machine. Any opinions. I currently have a wimpy powered hydraulic press putting out about 10 tons it is useful even at that power.
thanks
Tim

I have a Z&h no.5, a no.7 and a no.12 for sale. I also have a nice Osterwalder for sale. It is between a z&h 10 and 12 in power. I am not a dealer. I just don't need them anymore. Nice machines. At one point, I also had a no.10 and no.8 1/2. I'll post pictures later today.
John

I am interested in the #12

Ric

I have some old Z&H literature. It goes like this. Z&H rate the press as thepost-15154-004323300 1285722322_thumb.jppost-15154-087200900 1285722333_thumb.jppost-15154-048489800 1285722347_thumb.jp square of the number. 5=25 ton, #7=50 ton, #8 1/2=75ton,
#10=100 ton, #12=150 ton. The tonnage is somewhat(a small fraction) adjustable by stacking hardened plates under the die. The percussion press hits hardest on the last fraction of the drive wheel. Here are some pictures of the machines I have left. I love them like my dogs!My dogs take up less room!
John
Asking price is as follows: Z&H #5-$900, #7-$1,900, #12- $3,500 , Osterwalder 125-$4,000

I had it in my mind that I would get a press in the 50 ton range. Any opinions as to what would be best for general forge work? I rarely work anything over 2" but why should I limit my self? I am open to anyones opinion.

Grant is the one to answer that question with a friction press.

I have a 45 ton hydraulic press..you can see some videos on my site (lower down on the "videos to watch" section) if you wish to have a look.
With a 1" fuller I can pinch in half 2" square mild steel at welding heat. It will not do much to thinner material though as it takes about 8 ton per square inch to really "move" something..more is better.

Ric

Perhaps someone can answer this for me. It seems that a lot of the fly presses and friction screw presses I have seen for sale (ebay, cl, etc.) seem to be located in the Rhode Island area.

Am I just imagining this higher incidence? Or are there really more presses in this area? If so, why would that be? Is/was there a specific industry in that area that utilized these presses?

Perhaps someone can answer this for me. It seems that a lot of the fly presses and friction screw presses I have seen for sale (ebay, cl, etc.) seem to be located in the Rhode Island area.

Am I just imagining this higher incidence? Or are there really more presses in this area? If so, why would that be? Is/was there a specific industry in that area that utilized these presses?

You are not imagining it. They were used in jewelry manufacturing with coining or stamping dies. I believe most of the fly-presses I've used had tags from Gold Machinery in Rhode Island.