I Forge Iron

first sword

edge9001

as the title says a first sword is coming, and i have not got enough experience to try it.

Like i've seen several time, knives are easier than swords and niether should be attempted until you have experience with the basics. I just can't wait any longer.
soon as I get my propane refilled I'm am going to attempt a sword. I have a piece of 1x 1/2 mild steel that is just long enough. I think mild will be best as to reduce the cost of what will most likely be a failure.

I hav ejust got the itch that needs scratching, so I guess we will soon see just how good or bad I am at this point. gotta start somewhere right.

now to settle on a design. I will post pictures along the way.

Good thinking Tim.
I won't try to make anything with good material until I can absorb the cost painlessly.
All my knife attempts have been with RR spikes until I got to where I was happy. Now that I feel a little better about my endeavors I have started using old files. Still not ready to purchase good iron yet. Scared I reckon.
Good luck and post some pics.
Mark<><

Ill caution the use of half inch, its going to be a LOT of work to move that thickness of metal by hand into a sword. If you have a striker or a power hammer go for it, but solo its going to take a lot of time and energy, not to mention gas in the forge to get a good soaking heat.

A lot of us use leaf springs for good reason, most of them are no more than quarter inch and the 5160 steel can make a nice blade for the cost so in the end if you do turn out something you think looks nice its of usable steel. Being broke as a joke myself I understand not wanting to waste good steel but most of my springs and such were FREE! the best kind. Just don't be discouraged and keep at it, mild steel can be worked and worked so take your time and learn with each blow of the hammer.

Remember to take pics, even if your not up for sharing its good to be able to look back at your work and see where you started and where the work turned the right or wrong way and where to improve and correct in the future.

if any of you remember my last knife. the deeply curved blade I put a cord wrapped handle on.
post-13874-043156200 1285629193_thumb.jp
it was made from the same stock. I have a fairly long piece of this stock and I cut this knife off if it.

I got it down to a good thin blade fairly easy with the gas forge and a hand hammer. also quenched in a n iced brine it has made a nice blade, of pakistani comercial blade quality. You all kniow those blade, the cheap little available everywhere knives. it just takes time to do it by hand, and well for me learning is something that takes time anyway so doing it by hand allows me to get a better feel for the steel and I can't blame anyone or anything if it is screwed up, ecxept for me and my learning curve. If i were to use a striker or a power hammer then I would be able to blame the machine or the help if my blade didn't turn out the way I want.

Sam Salvati

love the quote. many have different opinions on the matter but me, I will have a hand on my ar-15, the other straping on the pistol and then grabbing the bug out bag...i dare anyone to kick in my front door. no telling what they might find staring back at them. AR, 9mm, grenades.....home made howitzer, its just hard to tell. might even be my hammer and a glowing slug o steel.