I Forge Iron

Cost of tools

Went to Quad State yesterday and couldn't beleive the cost on used tools. Floor cones $700.00-$800.00 and anvils went for $2.50 -$3.00 a pound and they were not anything to write home about. We did have a good time and got some good deals, brand new hot cuts $10.00 needs dressing up and handle. Bought a hot cut hardy, fuller, and a flatter all for $5.00each. all needs cleaned up and handles ( used item). Took my 10 year old son he had a good time and He got more stuff than I did. We got home and he told me he didn't realize that ther was so many different types of anvils and swage blocks. There was some unusual swage blocks there should have taken the camera and posted pictures. Next year!

I was blown away by the prices too; but noticed that a lot of stuff didn't sell! I think that there is a bubble going on and folks are raising their prices just because others are rather than because the market supports it. There were several times when someone told me that they didn't have a price on their stuff yet because they wanted to walk around and see what other people were selling for.

I did manage to pick up some very reasonably priced tools and two post vises ($50 for the 6" vise and $20 for the small one)

I did notice that some prices were quite negotiable on Sunday...

Thanks Thomas, I did pick-up some used hand tools off the $5.00 table but alot of it was junk....I have to dress every thing up and put handles on a couple of things. Next year my son is staying home I spent more money on him and I could have bought a few more tools, we had fun and I'm glad he was with us. He was like a fly buzzing around, he would be with us and I turn around and he would be off again looking around.

In the way gone past, we would take a juice can and cut a slot in the top. That will make a bank out of it. Have the keds draw a picture of the event that they want to go to on it. Then they funded their own spending money.

Do not leave the kids out of outings, its memories that can not be replaced.

LeeRoy

At Q-S there was a fellow who had 3 round bins on the ground with one being the $1 bin, the next $2 and the last being $5. I picked out about $20 out of the $2 bin---not rust but MOB chisels, a hammer head, etc.

Of course I'm cheap---picked up a beaut of a Victor propane regulator today for $10 at the local fleamarket. (Reverse thread on the tank fitting, 0-30 psi on the low gauge---but no red-line for Acetylene so I figured it was for Propane.)

Just what I needed for my burner test set up.