I Forge Iron

Hi from SE Michigan!

JWHooper

Hello everyone,

My name is John Hooper, originally from Dallas, Texas, now living in the Detroit area of Michigan. My 17 year old son and I are both interested in metalworking, and have been for a long time.

Well now is the time to do it. Trouble is, there is a lot I don't know. Hell, I really don't know anything about it!

This is the time when a little wisdom from other folks can really go a long, long way. I have nothing as far as tools go, and no forge. About the only thing I have is a nice natural gas quick connector that I use for my BBQ grill. Maybe I can plug that into a forge as well.

First things first ... um, what is the first thing? LOL!

Hey, give me shout, I selected to allow emails from other posters, and it would be especially great if there was someone local for me and my son to meet.

Looking forward to a lot of fun with this!

John Hooper

Welcome aboard! Grab a hammer and step to the anvil!

I too live in SE Michigan, Wyandotte to be specific.
I have a portable smitty set up at my Dad's place. If you guys would like to come over, I would be happy to show you around the fire and anvil. I too am just starting out, but am well on my way (so I'm told).
post-14413-004835700 1284751023_thumb.jp

Jeff

welcome aboard John, glad to have ya.

doesn't living in Detroit make you a troll? I married a yooper 13 years ago from around Ironwood.

Anywho, living where you do means you'll have better luck finding smithing tools than I do in AK.

Be sure to ask us whatever and don't forget we love pics.

Frosty the Lucky.