I Forge Iron

Who wants to be a movie star?

Clinton,

As a suggestion, try one of the many established ironworking shops in CA. The shops are alreay set up with everything the film producer may be looking to capture. Contact the owner and buy the shop time, you get what you negotiate. Bill the project as a commision but without a finished product. Good luck with the project.

Peter

It'd be worth talking to the guy, Shop rate is shop rate plus materials and consumables used. If your shop rate isn't worth your time then you're in the wrong line. I'd probably look for a contract addressing residuals if it's a money making piece of video.

I'm wondering if he'd like to shoot footage in Alaska. I'm sure we both could get some extra out of the mystique Alaska holds for most folk. Hmmmmmm.

Frosty the Lucky.

Maybe i'm just paranoid, but the thought occurred to me that maybe this guy is just looking for someone with the proper "blacksmithing Ironworking" tools. I am skeptical to bring a stranger over to the shop for "'filming". A friend of mine had a similar thing happen that he invested a bit of time in and the whole thing turned out to be a scam. Again maybe i'm just complicating things. Maybe its Stephen Spielberg and hes looking for the next big movie!

Maybe i'm just paranoid, but the thought occurred to me that maybe this guy is just looking for someone with the proper "blacksmithing Ironworking" tools. I am skeptical to bring a stranger over to the shop for "'filming". A friend of mine had a similar thing happen that he invested a bit of time in and the whole thing turned out to be a scam. Again maybe i'm just complicating things. Maybe its Stephen Spielberg and hes looking for the next big movie!

That'd be a risk any time you open the door to the public. I wouldn't be concerned about a scam, I'm not buying. If he didn't pay for footage of me forging or heavens forbid using my torch. . . Well, that's what contracts are for. If I got a spooky vibe and still wanted to go through with it I have a couple burly blacksmith friends I'd just invite over for the shoot. Speaking of shoot Alaska is a concealed carry state but that's getting silly.

As with any business dealing you must practice due dilligence or pay the piper.

Heck, if Stephen Spielberg showed up with a film crew I'd REALLY start getting nervous! Then again I'm SURE I could play the theme from Jaws on my anvil.

Frosty the Lucky.

Someone reads the fine print thanks Jeremy K, this is not my add I just saw it and thaught someone may want to make a few bucks and get som exposure as well, sounds like about an hours worth of work with set up and all, if you could make $150 in an hour I would think that would be a good gig. I think a plasma cutter would be a much better tool for cutting out letters, but it sounds like he wants the "torch effect" that would be kinda rough unless you are real good with a torch.

So much for that, maybe aI should've looked at the add but I didn't. $150 would get them an hour or so in my shop, maybe two but there'd better be residuals and marketing benefit for me or I'm NOT putting up with a camera crew that doesn't know diddly about a hot shop.

Anyone been watching "Searching For Mummies" on the History channel? There's a perfect example of what I'm talking about in the early episodes where the producer is nothing but in the way and Zahi has to threaten to have him thrown out of Egypt before he starts listening.

Personally I'd rather have a few 9 year olds in the shop than a videographer and crew.

Frosty the Lucky.