I Forge Iron

Naysmyth and wilson steam hammer

We have dug this Naysmth and Wilson steam hammer out of the graveyard to be put on display, It is dated 1901, when we had this hammer donated it was in working condition, but we had a job skill program working in the building where it was stored and they managed to drop it, bending the rod and cracking the base of the cylinder. Apart from this damage it is complete, I have to dig out the anvil and the baseplate yet. It will have a Dulux overhaul before it goes on display within the rail museum complex.

post-5537-092963200 1282957006_thumb.jpg

post-5537-081116500 1282957060_thumb.jpg

post-5537-001074900 1282957133_thumb.jpg

post-5537-088617700 1282957295_thumb.jpg

post-5537-092768400 1282957438_thumb.jpg

These blokes were just like Cherynoble power station, an accident just waiting to happen.

They broke, wrecked, lost, threw out, so much stuff we are still finding things over 15 years later. Mainly they were out of work trained monkeys who the government put into a training program to upskill them as trades assistants, gave them some manual skills training, then let them loose in our workshop. Unfortunately this was before I was running the business from there, so they only had supervision from a more highly trained monkey than themselves.

They tried to repair the damage, before we realised what they had done but they could'nt even do that successfully.

I nearly cried when we found out what they had done.

Phil