I Forge Iron

Companion Set School holiday project with pics

This young man attended a taster day and liked it so much, he wanted to take it further and make a companion set for his Gran, with him being only 13 one on one was the order of the day, first of all he had two days designing what he wanted, then making the brush, log roller, shovel and a matching handle for a pair of tongs (You may have seen these before)

post-816-031015700 1282171626_thumb.jpg

He came down to the forge again this week and had another two days making and completing the project, making the base, the column and the four hangers to complete what turned out to be a serious companion set.

post-816-014223500 1282171792_thumb.jpg

Most of it he made himself with some guidance, the main exception being the tongs on which he made the handle and decided on the shape he specifically wanted, and so I made the one piece jaws and spring with his direction and I also jumped up the end for the tenon and drew the point for the column handle down on the Blacker for him to scroll and shape, tenoning was a joint effort using a blacksmiths mate tool('smithin magician?)

The twists on the column made him grunt a bit, especially the lower tight one,

post-816-024530700 1282172954_thumb.jpg

The tool hangers gave him no particular problems again using the blacksmiths mate tool to neck them in at the punch marks put on to ensure all were similar, the holes for the rivets were drilled in for accuracy when assembling for rivetting.

He bent them all at right angles (hot) prior to rivetting them on to ensure the rivets could be accessed, countersunk rivets were used, and after rivetting them on, they were marked at the same distance all around using correction fluid, and then using localised heat from the oxy torch, he used bending forks to bring the hangers into position, and adjusting them to all look similar.

post-816-045736600 1282173047_thumb.jpg post-816-061007900 1282172994_thumb.jpg post-816-093899100 1282173099_thumb.jpg

When this was completed we worked through calculating the length of metal needed to make the one piece tong jaw/spring and marked it out with a centre punch at the critical points.

The squat ball was forge welded on and the tenon formed on his already made handle,

The other piece for the jaws/spring was drawn out, the curve for the jaws formed over a swage, and a square hole punched in at its centre for the tenon on the handle to fit, and the handle rivetted on to this piece whilst it was still in the straight position, local heat was applied to the spring area (in the forge) and one side of this was pulled up to a tube to form half the eye at the top, and the jaw had the 'kick put in using bending forks, this was repeated for the other half of the tong,

The jaws were adjusted to meet, and the whole tong quenched to give some spring.

post-816-088123400 1282173836_thumb.jpg

All the pieces were wire brushed, and cleaned up, and stamped with Alec's initials, sprayed with WD40, a quick torching with a plumbers blowlamp, and a clear acrylic lacquer applied.

post-816-094040100 1282174105_thumb.jpg post-816-097380700 1282174129_thumb.jpg post-816-016267300 1282174166_thumb.jpg post-816-028631100 1282174196_thumb.jpg

The way the project progressed presented many challenges which were overcome, and we both learnt a lot, one happy lad, and I would think one happy and proud Gran when he presents her with this surprise piece.

The boy done good (with a little help and guidance,despite a couple of underpant changing moments when using the Blacker and the oxy )

Materials used were; tools'/handles 12mm square, hangers 16mm x 5mm, column 20mm square, feet 30mm x 10mm.

Any questions re methods please feel free to ask.

wow! i am staggered he made that! can you pass on my respect and pleasure at this kids skill john - he must be so pleased with himself - making something real and useful is so affirming. i realise he has a top class teacher too ;) perfect!!

wow! i am staggered he made that! can you pass on my respect and pleasure at this kids skill john - he must be so pleased with himself - making something real and useful is so affirming. i realise he has a top class teacher too ;) perfect!!

Why staggered Beth? all you have to do is to decide what you are going to make, then get on, get your metal hot and hit it, then see what develops, if you think about it, it was just a progression from the one day taster course with some new skills added to build the confidence, (and a little more motivating than just knocking out nails and hooks,) and the one on one helped combined with his enthusiasm.

I had to help out more than I normally would have done, but his physical strength and age was a bit of a problem. Having said that it was mainly only the tongs spring/arms/jaws I had to help out on as it was drawn down out of one piece, and I did not have time to bring him up to speed with the use of the power hammer and tooling to do it for himself, and he was a little wary of trying it.

Not so much a teacher more of a guide and definitely not top class, but thank you for the compliment, I just regard myself as the old style village blacksmith, retired.

Finch Foundry at Sticklepath is having an open day and Craft show/sale on Saturday if you are interested, a chance to play on the old hearths, and I will see if I can get some pictures of the drop stamps for Sam.

john i suppose staggered and delighted that a 13 year old boy would have the focus to see that through- i have three children myself who are lovely motivated children a lot of the time but i know how transient that can be particularly in a teenager! i have worked alot with a huge variety of children and i think the work he has done is not simple for a 13 year old to master, and he is certainly unusual in his mindset i would say! and as for 'just' an old school village blacksmith - your having a laugh! :) this is just the kind of thing a boy that age needs to be shown that he can achieve. quality! :D

I'd agree with Beth, a kid that age willing to sweat for a fair old while is as rare as hens teeth John, one that'll sweat and then turn out summat that looks as good as that is as rare as rocking horse... well you get the picture :)
Good on you mate (for taking him on) and good on him (for proving he was worth taking on)

Thank you John for giving my lad this oportunity. It is reasuring to know there are still people out there willing to teach our younger generation the old fashioned trades and keep them current. Al had a fabulous time at your forge and this experience has not only given him more confidence in himself but has "definately" mapped out his future. He is absolutely determined that this is the proffession for him.

Thanks so much. (from all of us) :)

Proud parent of "The Apprentice".

Carole.

Thank you John for giving my lad this oportunity. It is reasuring to know there are still people out there willing to teach our younger generation the old fashioned trades and keep them current. Al had a fabulous time at your forge and this experience has not only given him more confidence in himself but has "definately" mapped out his future. He is absolutely determined that this is the proffession for him.

Thanks so much. (from all of us) :)

Proud parent of "The Apprentice".

Carole.

Thanks Carole, I seem to remember a bit of arm twisting also being applied to me somewhere in this story, but the outcome seems to justify that, and no doubt I will recover.

Results are a double celebration, new blacksmith on their way, and a new iForge member too = success