I Forge Iron

A Great weekend with my grandmother...

mcraigl

I know, i know. Not really something one would typically post up on a blacksmithing forum. But I'll get to that. My granny is 88 and pretty spry, but she's mostly been telling me the same stories for my whole life. Well, I've been into this blacksmithing thing for about the last year, and this was the first time I've spent any one on one time with her since then. I knew from talking to my mom and aunts that my grandpa had a couple of forges and plenty of bs'ing tools. He was a farmer, and their ranch was pretty remote so he had to be as self sufficient as possible. I'd also heard stories about how all the neighbors would bring stuff to him to get it fixed if it was beyond their capabilites. What I hadn't heard was that my great, great grandfather (granny's grandpa) was a blacksmith in a village in Germany. He was raised by his grandfather who was also a blacksmith because his mom had died at his birth and his dad was a sailor and didn't come home from a trip when he was about 10. Anyway, it really lit my fire and I've got to do some research now. Thankfully, my grandma is still pretty much all there mentally and is writing down all the stories and tidbits that she remembers from her life. Anyway, I was pretty excited about it and thought I'd share. As an aside, my great great grandpa was also the village crier (sp?). I guess all the men in town were probably hanging around his shop anyway if they weren't working so he was probably a good choice for getting "the word" out. Have a good weekend all.

mcraigl, That is really neat. My Grandpa though not a Smith lived to be 98 and saw changes I can't fathom. I loved hearing tales of the changes he saw
from horse and buggy days to the Moon Shot and the computer age.
Enjoy the history, treasure Grandma and be proud of that heritage.
I for one enjoyed it, and think it was a perfect post for a blacksmith forum!
TIM

McCraigl, my paternal Grandma was born in 1887 and died in 1984. Her husband ( my Grandpa ) died in 1923 when my Dad was 9. Grandma never married again and was not scared of Satan himself. She did get a little sad sometimes thinking of an axe murder in 1912. Get a recorder. Get a cam corder. WRITE DOWN stuff. Many things I wish I had done this. Glad you still have your Grandma. Mine still carried 2 5 gallon buckets of water to sheep when she was 92. I could go on but this is your thread. :)

Great story mcraigl, I know that my grandfather didn't have any bs'ing tools, but was good at bs'ing. He was in the liquor business (I worked for him for about 10-15 years as a kid), and as such was a great bs'er. ;)

My father was good at tinkering with things, taking things apart, and putting them back together, and maybe that's where I got it from, not sure.

I don't know if any ancestors past my great grandparents were smiths at all, but most of them were from either Russia and Hungary. The Hungarian side migrated through Canada, the Russian side migrated through NY. Granparents met in L.A. and lived and raised family there, which my Mom did as well. That was my Mother's side. Father's side was from Russia and Poland, and don't know much about them as my parents were divorced when I was young...artifact of the 60s.:(

Let us know if you find out more. I don't think it's odd, this is the Non-Blacksmithing forum afterall and if folks don't care to read it they don't have to.

Well, here's a sort of long story about my maternal grandfather then... I'll try to shorten it up as much as possible...

I work for a federal land management agency. When fire season in the west gets really bad, and there's a lot of aviation activity with air tankers and helicopters, I get called out to serve as a liason with the FAA. Theres about 15 of us in the country that do this.

A guy I really like to work with Gary, it turns out grew up in Fairfield Idaho. One of my favorite parts of the county. It's several hundred miles from where my mother grew up in northeastern utah. Gary's in his late 60's now and his dad was "the village smith / mechanic / etc. etc." in Fairfield. Gary remembers stopping at my grandpa's ranch when he was a little boy so his dad could help my grandpa fix something particularly difficult/large.

I really like how small the world still is sometimes. I met Gary on a fire assignment in Port Hueneme California, he's from a tiny little town a fair distance from where my family's from, and yet there's a connection there. Even better/cooler is the connection is centered around blacksmithing.