I Forge Iron

Hammer time

canman

Good questions canman, probably there are many answers. Blacksmith hammers most used are probably between 2 and 3 pounds in weight. The cross peen might be used slightly more than the straight peen, but almost everyone will have both. A ball peen is necessary as a third hammer, a light one, and a heavier one makes four. A 4 pound hand sledge is five, an 8 pound sledge is six, a rounding hammer is seven, a deadblow or a soft hammer is eight and nine, a leather mallet and a wooden one is ten and eleven. Then there are different weights of any of the mentioned styles and there are diagonal peens, sharp peens, blunt peens, no peens, Quadra-Peens, etc, etc. Some people have three or four dozen hammers, but you can do most everything you want with only 5 or 6. As to what to make one out of, most any steel 1045 and higher carbon can be used. 4140, 4340, and O1 are steels I have used as well.

1021.attach

Lets not forget that the sweedish crosspein is very different from the french version which is different from the "english" version; or that Japanese hammers are very different from european ones (except for sawyers and cutlers hammers)

Size is based on what you are doing and how good of shape you are in. A heavier hammer will move metal faster; but if you blow out your elbow and can't forge for 6months then you haven't gone any faster...

When I'm in good forging shape I like a 1.5 kg sweedish cross pein, when I'm out of shape it's a 2.5# straight peein with a very rounded pein---looks like a piece of 3/4" stocl attached to the hammer.

I have hammers from 4 oz ballpeins to 17# sledge

Note that hammer size is also correlated to anvil size, you can break your anvil using too big a hammer on it.

Materials: as stated before a medium carbon steel---you want toughness over brittlness! (though I'm thinking of making a Ti hammer this winter for use when I have blacksmith's elbow...)

Thomas