I Forge Iron

Bear , Wolf traps

Naz

Was just a trappers convention and there where over 50 hand forged traps there but I did not take any pictures.
As mentioned earlier use a small long spring trap and size up from there
Double spring beaver traps the spring is about 12" long and about an 8" jaws.
Wolf fould be larger and bear larger yet.
You can use mild steel for everything but the springs which should be hardenable steel.
Snowmobile ski springs are about the right thickness but you can reduce car/truck springs in thickness.
Most had the jaws bolt through the base plate.
Most bear traps have cast jaws with teeth

I saw 3 examples of one hand forge trap that the spring was made of 3 pieces forge welded together. The two forge welds were just back from the eyes. The eye must have been made from not hardenable material. Thought it would have been easier to slot/punch and then drift the eye from the one piece but it must have been a materials cost thing or they would have not done the two forge welds. The owner said what the name brand trap was but I did not right it down. Said all of that makers springs were made that way. Have noever seen another brand trap made that way. Have seen were the curved top of the spring was riveted to a straight piece bottom.
Bad Roger in Minnesota