I Forge Iron

bandsaw converted into belt sander?

Has anyone tried this? I have a bandsaw i picked up cheap, but it is meant for wood (fast speeds) It has a step pully on the motor, a jack shaft, and a step pully on the drive wheel. It occurred to me that with an idler wheel on the drive (much smaller than the blade wheel), an idler wheel on the coasting wheel, and adding a contact wheel arm and wheel, it might be a serviceable grinder. It takes 93 inch blades right now. It seems like a stout 1 hp motor, and with all the step pullies and shaft, it can be adjustable. Maybe a stupid idea, but i think they use to sell bandsaws that accepted sanding belts.

Has anyone tried this? I have a bandsaw i picked up cheap, but it is meant for wood (fast speeds) It has a step pully on the motor, a jack shaft, and a step pully on the drive wheel. It occurred to me that with an idler wheel on the drive (much smaller than the blade wheel), an idler wheel on the coasting wheel, and adding a contact wheel arm and wheel, it might be a serviceable grinder. It takes 93 inch blades right now. It seems like a stout 1 hp motor, and with all the step pullies and shaft, it can be adjustable. Maybe a stupid idea, but i think they use to sell bandsaws that accepted sanding belts.

Interesting... I dont see why it wouldn't work if you put the effort in to make it work.... I know band file blades where common at one point for DoAll saws

The biggest downfall I can see is even real wide bandsaw wheels are only good for about 1 1/4 which is a pretty narrow grinding belt...

Where can you find belts that narrow? That sounds like an idea that would work. I have both a metal cutting and a wood cutting bandsaw. I'd like to give that a try.

sears sells the belts where they sell the bandsaw blades also a number of the woodworking outlets sell them