I Forge Iron

Simple bending jig

Here are a few pics of a simple bending jig I copied from a local shop. They called it their "secret weapon". It is a 3/8" thick plate 7 1/2" x 14 1/2" and the curves are 1/2" x 1 1/2" bar. the curved pieces are curved differently in each quadrant. #4 is the sharpest and #1 is the shallowest. 2 1/4" between curves at the narrowest point. It is great for bending a few parts. I can put stops in the table to get repeatable bends. Also I have a mount for it that plugs into the trailer hitch on the back of the truck for making simple adjustments to things in the field.
There are a few pics of some bends I have done with it. The long peice is 18' and made of 3/4" solid square with the 1 3/4" molded cap rail and the gate is 1" tube frame. Pipe rail is 1 1/4" sch 40 and was done all done on site. The guys I copied it from used it to bend the 2 1/2 " molded cap rail the hard way and I have bent 1/4" x 2" flat bar the hard way. Works good for shallow bends on pipe also. All cold bends, with heat you could just about bend anything you could fit in it. It is also useful to straighten forged pieces.
Rob

Yes I have it pegged into one of the holes on the platen table shown. It can be attached to a bench or anything sturdy that will not move easily. I use it on a peg that goes in the trailer hitch of my truck for field work. To use it you just put your metal piece in between the two curves and pull it. It will not work on short pieces, depending on the material 2-3 feet would probably be the shortest. You can always bend a long piece on the end and cut it. Depending on which quadrant you pull the metal around is how you get a different radius bend. If you need a tighter bend use #4 in the pic or a more gradual use #1 or #2. I have only use it cold but no reason to not use with short pieces of hot metal and bending forks. Hope this clears things up, thanks for the interest in it.
Rob

• 7 years later...