I Forge Iron

Power hammer mounting

Hello everyone. Look, I bought a tire power hammer, second hand, built by a Clay Spenser class. I can't seem to be able to find the written instructions that came with it but wanted to move it to a dirt floor and remembered that Clay Spenser specified how to mount it securely in the ground. Can anyone give me the way that Clay Spenser says to do that? I know that will be the right way. Many thanks!

Well Wes I'm not Clay Spencer but I can probably make a concrete slab or anchor something into planet earth that can stop a rhino. You have a perfect condition if the dirt floor is in your possession and your permitted to dig a cavity and pour concrete into it. That's the best situation because if your machine base has bolt holes for mounting; all you have to do is match the pattern on piece of plywood and cement in some long anchors (the things shaped like the letter "L" threaded on the long end)in which to set the machine down on and bolt in. That would be the way to get your hammer impacting the workpiece nice and solid. Go deep say 12-18 inches and talk to some concrete fellows about anchors and such. Let them know what your plans are and they can tell you how to do it by hand. I've done many slabs by hand mixing in a wheel barrow with a garden hoe so you won't be paying for much besides the concrete itself. Good luck! Spears.

Hello everyone. Look, I bought a tire power hammer, second hand, built by a Clay Spenser class. I can't seem to be able to find the written instructions that came with it but wanted to move it to a dirt floor and remembered that Clay Spenser specified how to mount it securely in the ground. Can anyone give me the way that Clay Spenser says to do that? I know that will be the right way. Many thanks!

Go to the Little Giant web site and you will find detailed plans for the foundations of various sizes of Little Giants. Very useful. Good luck.

Tommy

Thanks guys for the replys. Concrete, I am sure is the most solid but labor intensive. If my memory serves me, Spenser details a heavy wooden post type foundation for dirt. One would need the plans to know for sure. I may just have to find them.

Hi Wes, on a dirt floor wooden railway sleepers ( I think you call then 'ties' in the US ) work well. Make sure they extend out each side to stop any rocking and give a wide base. Make up some flat bar with lengths of threaded bar welded at right angles on each end, on the flat. Size these to corespond to the holes in the base of the hammer. Place the sleepers on top of the flat bar with the threaded bar sticking up through pre driled holes and bolt the machine down. It is best to sink the sleepers some way into the floor, two layers are better, placed across each other. It involves some digging but is probably better than walking round your shop following your hammer !! :D

Per Clay's plans- On a dirt floor bolt to a wood base 3 1/2' wide with 4 1/2" bolts washers and lock nuts. The base is made of 10 pressure treat 4x4 at least 3 1/2 feet long bolted together with 1/2" all thread rod and dug into the ground.