I Forge Iron

Weird Hamon activity...

Water quenched 1080 , In the picture the blue line denotes the quench line , the red denotes the "Odd activity ". This one was not clayed , it was "edge quenched " in Hot , almost boiling water. Any Ideas ? I think It looks pretty cool but I'm wondering what to call this little flame like effect.

Jens

1007.attach

I Got an Answer from the "Don" , on this one...

"Looks like a vapor jacket formed and slowed down the quench in that area. You can avoid this by agitating the quench or moving the blade. Just a guess

--------------------
Don Fogg
Don Fogg Custom Knives"

Makes sense to me, I'm just glad the blade survived the water quench !!

Jens

• 3 weeks later...

To clarify, this was a strait water quench, done without clay. My water was much too hot and I did find a soft spot in the edge so I have since annealed, normalized and re heat treated this blade, this time with a clay jacket. After visiting Howard Clark's shop I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong. Now its rainwater or distilled, NOT tap water, and 115 to 120 degrees not 200 degrees. Man quenching in water still gives me the willies though, just dip and just pray you don't hear the Ping-O'- Death.

Jens