I Forge Iron

how to build a gas forge

nathand

Hello everyone

Im just about to finish my coke forge but the place i was planning on keeping it is no longer available, at the moment im in the process of buying a house with a double garage, but the problem is the garage is going to house my kit car.

I have enough room to work with the car there but im worried that soot and metal fragments may get into my engine and ruin it, i have just had it rebuilt because of a rogue peice of meatal that got into one of the pistions and smashed it to peices, so was thinking a gas forge may solve this issue???

Trouble is i know absolutely nothing about them ive had a good look at what others have done on here but just dont have an idea on how to do it

are there any plans availible that i could build from i live in Bristol in the UK so was wondring not only what other components i need but also fittings etc as was thinking of a propane fired forge, i would also like to build a fair size one as well. i work in the water industry so can get hold of fair size pipe 250-300mm in diameter

im relitively new to blacksmithing ive done a couple of traing days at west point forge down in exeter, and am now desperate to practice what ive learned so far so any advice and info you guys can add will be grately recieved

thanks

nathan

Hello everyone

Im just about to finish my coke forge but the place i was planning on keeping it is no longer available, at the moment im in the process of buying a house with a double garage, but the problem is the garage is going to house my kit car.

I have enough room to work with the car there but im worried that soot and metal fragments may get into my engine and ruin it, i have just had it rebuilt because of a rogue peice of meatal that got into one of the pistions and smashed it to peices, so was thinking a gas forge may solve this issue???

Trouble is i know absolutely nothing about them ive had a good look at what others have done on here but just dont have an idea on how to do it

are there any plans availible that i could build from i live in Bristol in the UK so was wondring not only what other components i need but also fittings etc as was thinking of a propane fired forge, i would also like to build a fair size one as well. i work in the water industry so can get hold of fair size pipe 250-300mm in diameter

im relitively new to blacksmithing ive done a couple of traing days at west point forge down in exeter, and am now desperate to practice what ive learned so far so any advice and info you guys can add will be grately recieved

thanks

nathan

Look up Ron Reil's Pages on google. They will give you a TON of info to last you days of reading.

Hi Nathan, Welcome to the site, I am sure you will get more than enough information already on this site if you go to the search facility.

If you go into the "stickies", the posts are all listed.

Make sure your kit car is well sheeted before using any forge in the area of it, or it will get damaged.

I'm putting together a how-to on this blog (assuming that it works... otherwise it will be a how-not-to!)

Even if it doesn't work, I have links to some other sites that have plans, such as Backyard Metalcasting and parts suppliers.

http://kcrucible.wordpress.com/