I Forge Iron

unnamed drill press with Packard motor

Nice find! Why would you not want to use it?? Have the fun of owning something like that for me would be getting to use the machine!! I have three big heavey duty drill presses and one lathe and one power hammer not quite that old that I still use. Use it and enjoy!!! Armand

Got this for a steel, I don't know what brand it is, Maybe a GM ?
I really wont use it but at least I have one.

So

sorry my friend, " I really woun't use it" wHY THE H--L NOT. You are depriving a working smith from having and using a vintage tool. I have 75- 122 yr old firearms they go to the range rain or shine. They are tools
to be used as intended. Not as I have one.
Ken.

My intent was not to anger anyone, just being honest, My motive was to save it from being sent to china, and melted.
when I see these old tools, I imagine it being used new, how happy the journeyman was to have this new tool, what the shop looked like, sort of a sentimental journey, etc...
When it gets set up on the wall, I will still prefer to use my 60 year old Dayton.

"You are depriving a working smith from having and using a vintage tool".

If you would like to have it, to use in your shop, I spent 10 dollars for it, you may have it for 20, just don't get greedy an resell it,
just pass it on. I don't want to be labeled a tool snob, depriving people of stuff.

My Winchester model 1880 and model 1886 don't get fired much but they do get fired. The Game Getter (1903).22/.44 over and under is an awesome pistol,
but the rounds have to be special made,or the chamber may expand.
A little off topic but fun to boast.

Thanks

You are depriving a working smith from having and using a vintage tool. I

It's an old post drill with a bunch of parts missing! Someone has stuck a motor on it, and it might be fun to play with. Please define 'working smith' because most of the full-time smiths I know are more interested in tools that work than tools that are vintage. If you're interested in setting up a vintage/period shop then you probably don't want a kludge like the one above. Criminy!

Thanks for posting the pics. I thought of adding a motor to my old post-drill, so it's fun to see how someone else managed it.

"....If you're interested in setting up a vintage/period shop then you probably don't want a kludge like the one above. Criminy! "

KLUDGE
improvised device, usually crudely constructed. Typically used to test the validity of a principle before doing a finished design; any construction or practice, typically inelegant, designed to solve a
problem temporarily or expediently; an amalgamated mass of totally unrelated parts

I like that word....... " kludge"....... exactly what we have here.

2Dogs, thanks for saving that piece of history from the smelter.
I like it and I would save it and not use it either.
It reminds me to "make do with what I have at hand" and somebody obviously did.
Great conversation piece and I doubt if anybody would really be "deprived" if you kept it.
Kludge! hey now, my vocabulary is growing just by reading these posts.!
One day its "subsumed" and today its "kludge".
Its a good day for the old grey matter, when I learn something new.

Vacationing in a town with a big scrap metal yard. :D