I Forge Iron

New Home made

Just posting my new anvil that I have made.
I was after a smaller anvil that is easy to move about & transport as the first anvil I made is 100Kg (220Lb) it is to hard to transport easily.
Total Wieght is 50Kg / 110Lb
I oxy/lpg cut the top from 100mm thick Bisaloy 80 Plate Then trimed Horn shape & heel.
I then bevaled the horn & ground to shape with 9" angle grinder Finished with file.
The hardie hole I drilled 4 smal holes through inside the courner area.
Then drilled through with 1" drill
I then chiseld out sides & die ground with carbide bur close to size.
Drifted through with 1"sq tool steel tool bit.
The wasit is 2 pieces of 1.25" thick plate cut to shape preped & welded then welded to underside of top of anvil & welded to base plate.
I heated the top & top of horn with oxy heating head until surface a dull red starting to show (about 1/2 hr to get to this)
Then quenched with water & compressed air ( cool quicker when compressed air is used to blast water on)
A 3/8 dia bearing droped from 12" will bounce up about 9" a file will still cut but not well.

Let me know what you all think.

post-4893-094506900 1280137766_thumb.jpg post-4893-049039600 1280137798_thumb.jpg post-4893-005525600 1280137829_thumb.jpg

Nice looking job, looks like it will work well for you,

Hindsight is great, and it is easy to add points when something is done, I think I would favour putting in some extra various sized pritchel holes in at the heel to aid punching and reduce the need for having extra bolster plates that need storing.

Nice work!It`s no cake walk hand cutting thick plate to a line is it.
The finished product is something to be proud of and something your grandchildren will be proud of too when they point to it and say,"my grandpa MADE that" after you are no longer around.
Thanks for posting the pics.

The finished product is something to be proud of and something your grandchildren will be proud of too when they point to it and say,"my grandpa MADE that" after you are no longer around.

On that note you may want to stamp your information into the "soft" side of the anvil if you haven't
Phil