I Forge Iron

New Guy

Aredee

Hey everyone I am really interested in making knives. I have watched a bunch of videos on youtube and looked at stuff on the web. Can anyone recommend a good book? so some places that a nub can go look for info
Thanks
Craig

Read everything you can find on this site and that includes forging information for all work. Read items on found steels if you wish. Read the stickies in knife forums on heat treat information. Then for a desk reference get two books. The $50 knife shop by Wayne Goddard and the complete bladesmith by Jim Hrousalis. You may be able to get these at your library, however they really should be availeable to you all the time. Remember that knives are not a starting point in metal work..If you want to forge knives learn to forge first. And have fun.

Hey Aredee,

I second Rich Hale's statement that knives are not a good starting point. I like the fact that you first want to read a bit on blacksmithing, a lot of people want to rush into something without thinking. However, blacksmithing is very practical so you can't learn it just from a book. Find the proper mix of the two!

Personally I found 2 books extremely useful. Not too much information, not too little. I advice you to read them in this order, but hey who am I?
Basic Blacksmithing: An Introduction to Toolmaking (amazon link). This book discusses the very basics; forging techniques, making certain tools step-by-step, heat treating, etc.

The second is The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way To Perfection (amazon link). In my opinion it is exactly that: the complete bladesmith. Enough said.

Just my thoughts,

NN4N

I also 2nd Mr. Hale's statement..and you can't go wrong with anything by Wayne Goddard..I also 2nd nn4n's suggestions on books..there are also all kinds of dvd's on the subject (ebay,amazon,etc.)..u can also go to several sites..anvilfire.com, artistblacksmith.com (Dave Robertson, from Canada, is great!), purgatoryironworks.com..go to ur favorite search engine (google,bing,etc.) and type in blacksmithing or bladesmithing or knife making and see what pops up..there are all kinds of forums..have fun! U mite also want to subscribe to Blade magazine (blademag.com)

Gene

Hey everyone I am really interested in making knives. I have watched a bunch of videos on youtube and looked at stuff on the web. Can anyone recommend a good book? so some places that a nub can go look for info
Thanks
Craig

Craig,
It is simpler to tell you where to go once we know where you are.

As Ron said..find a local smithing group..you can learn far more with a weekend gathering than in most books.
I would urge you to begin slow and build on the skills. If you aim for the mountain top to soon you may find your wearing the wrong boots.
There are also a host of schools out there which have smithing and even knife making classes.

Ric

Perhaps the American Bladesmiths Society school? They offer classes for people ranging from complete beginners to quite advanced.

If we only knew what continent you were on we might be able to make better suggestions as to locations; but I have to assume you are in Greenland and so out of luck!

Thank you for all the help. I just picked up the book The $50 knife shop. It is really good and I am learning a ton. As far as where I am at in Metal working I have worked with 304/316 st.stl for the last 8 years making counter-tops and sinks etc. As far as blacksmithing I have no experience. I was out yard sale hunting today looking for tools, files, etc.. Although I didn't find any tools I was able to find a pocket knife with a broke handle, with a 440c blade, that I am planning on making a new handle, for 25 cents. As far as location I live in Chattanooga, TN.
Thank you again for all your help