I Forge Iron

RTech Plasma cutter, are they any good ???

Hello all,
I need a plasma cutter for a job I have coming up ( 200 shapes cut out of thin sheet, 1.3 to 3 mm ) Ive been looking on the web and found RTech welding. They have an inverter for a really resonable price £410 that claims a clean cut up to 8mm. As they are quite a bit below other makes price wise I was wondering if anyone had used one and were they any good. Should I lay out more cash , I I'd probably get a fair bit of use from it but moneys a bit tight ?????

I've never owned a plasma cutter, but I have used a few different brands. The nice ones (hypertherm) cut pretty decent and the cheapo's cut so bad I would have rather used an oxy/acetylene torch. That doesn't mean that there aren't less expensive plasma cutters out there that can't do the job, just not the couple that I have used.

One thing to consider is the price of consumables, some off brands cut good but are pricey when buying consumables.I have a thermal dynamics pak15 also a plasma made by Harris shortly after I bought the harris they sold out and quit making the comsumables for it, I did find an older welding shop in the houston area that had a bunch of parts so I bought them all. The thing I dont like about the Harris is the focus ring is made out of ceramic and breaks easy. Point is check out the consumables pricing and availability for the unit you want to buy.