I Forge Iron

Forge supplies

kevin1645

Hello. Recently, my friends and i have decided to build our own gas forge. The problem lies not in how to put it all together (yet), but in where to get the supplies. Can some of you give me links to usable insulation and firebricks, preferably that can withstand somewhere around 3000 degrees F. Also, a metal five gallon barrel.

Thanks

EDIT: I live in North Dakota. I was mainly looking for online suppliers, because I've been having difficulties finding suitable firebricks and insulation for my needs.

My main objective is to forge knives.

Hello. Recently, my friends and i have decided to build our own gas forge. The problem lies not in how to put it all together (yet), but in where to get the supplies. Can some of you give me links to usable insulation and firebricks, preferably that can withstand somewhere around 3000 degrees F. Also, a metal five gallon barrel.

Thanks

You'll have to provide more information for us to really be of help. Where you're located makes a big difference on where you can source materials. Firebrick, for example, can be found at fireplace/woodstove stores, ceramic/pottery supply houses and specialty masonry outlets - and even Home Depot on occasion). Ceramic wool (not brand names required) can also sometimes be found at the first two places. One of the best Internet site is Mcgillswarehouse[/url.
Propane reulators can be found a high-end hardware stores, (sometimes even Ace), a local propane dealer or from even a barbeque grill regulator from Craigslist can work for some setups.

It would also be helpful to know what you're planning to forge and whether you intend to do any forge welding. What size forge you are contemplating would also help.

I'd look for metal 5 gallon drums on Craigslist first. However, I hope you're not planning to use this as a forge body! It would be 50 X too large! The number and size of the burners it would require would easily outstrip most regulators ability to provide enough propane. It would also be so inefficient that you would find it almost impossible to work with. Most knife forges or forges that are used to make small tools, art pieces, etc. are fairly small - volume wise about a gallon. Think about it - you can only forge, i.e. hammer, on a small area at a time - most metal cools too quickly to work more that a small area at one time. Heating more than the work area is both a waste of fuel and potentially dangerous - the area you are not working will burn anything it touches.

You'll have to provide more information for us to really be of help. Where you're located makes a big difference on where you can source materials. Firebrick, for example, can be found at fireplace/woodstove stores, ceramic/pottery supply houses and specialty masonry outlets - and even Home Depot on occasion). Ceramic wool (not brand names required) can also sometimes be found at the first two places. One of the best Internet site is Mcgillswarehouse[/url.
Propane reulators can be found a high-end hardware stores, (sometimes even Ace), a local propane dealer or from even a barbeque grill regulator from Craigslist can work for some setups.

It would also be helpful to know what you're planning to forge and whether you intend to do any forge welding. What size forge you are contemplating would also help.

I'd look for metal 5 gallon drums on Craigslist first. However, I hope you're not planning to use this as a forge body! It would be 50 X too large! The number and size of the burners it would require would easily outstrip most regulators ability to provide enough propane. It would also be so inefficient that you would find it almost impossible to work with. Most knife forges or forges that are used to make small tools, art pieces, etc. are fairly small - volume wise about a gallon. Think about it - you can only forge, i.e. hammer, on a small area at a time - most metal cools too quickly to work more that a small area at one time. Heating more than the work area is both a waste of fuel and potentially dangerous - the area you are not working will burn anything it touches.

5 gallons too big??? This popular design forge is made with exactly that. With at least 2" of wool, the actual forge chamber is just 460 ci and it only uses one atmospheric burner. Designer says 2 for welding temps.

Edit: Had to google it but 460 cubic inches is just under 2 us gallons. Just an FYI ;)

Kevin being that this is the world wide web and we have participants from all over the world giving your location is a big help as we don't know if you are looking for supplies in Australia, South Africa, Europe/England/Ireland, South America, Asia, etc.

International shipping of blacksmithing equipment can be quite expensive so telling us your general location helps a lot!

Thomas in central NM (for example)

Another excellent supplier is http://www.zoellerforge.com/

I agree that a five gallon pail for a forge is overkill... I have several propane forges and the one I use the most is eight inches in diameter and 8 inches long. The body was cut from part of a large oxygen tank.... The channel for the soft brick on the ends is just 3 inch C channel. The slot was cut with a zip disk. The shelf for the brick on the slot is 1/4 inch plate. All the brick are soft brick, which can be cut with any hand saw.

There are MANY good designs for propane forges. The atmospheric show below has evolved to be the most useful design I have made. If you want to consider a blown forge, I would recommend looking at Jymm Hoffman's design. I put one inch of kaowool around the entire inside first. Then I lay the floor in, then put a second one_inch layer of Kaowool in from the right side of the floor to the slot. I hold the Kaowool in place with hi temp wire. Coat the Kaowool with ITC-100 or Plistix-900.

Both Ellis and Zoller sell all the supplies you will need.

If I made another one, it would be 9 inches long (so I could use a full length soft brick for the slot).

post-585-027115300 1279762826_thumb.jpg

post-585-012589200 1279762845_thumb.jpg