I Forge Iron

new knife with DRAWFILING!

antigoth24

started a new knife made from the tip of a jackhammer bit, overall length 9 inches and hidden tang the filler? is going to be brass (not sure what the name for the part that goes around the hidden tang for a riveted handle is :/ ) but as the title says this is my first attempt at drawfiling and man is it wonderful! i set up the filing angles with a little work on the the belt sander as you can see by that little divit more towards the tang but i only just started the one side...but anywho questions commentss and info are always welcome...thanks for looking!

post-8703-015700300 1279676340_thumb.jpg

started a new knife made from the tip of a jackhammer bit, overall length 9 inches and hidden tang the filler? is going to be brass (not sure what the name for the part that goes around the hidden tang for a riveted handle is :/ ) but as the title says this is my first attempt at drawfiling and man is it wonderful! i set up the filing angles with a little work on the the belt sander as you can see by that little divit more towards the tang but i only just started the one side...but anywho questions commentss and info are always welcome...thanks for looking!

Fine looking knife blade, first attempt or not. I too used drawfiling to help shape and refine my blades. Done correctly and you can achieve very uniform blades. Works great to level/flatten the area that need it and can take off a fair amount of metal in a relatively short period of time.

You might be thinking of a bolster or guard - brass (or bronze) is a very common choice for this.

Fine looking knife blade, first attempt or not. I too used drawfiling to help shape and refine my blades. Done correctly and you can achieve very uniform blades. Works great to level/flatten the area that need it and can take off a fair amount of metal in a relatively short period of time.

You might be thinking of a bolster or guard - brass (or bronze) is a very common choice for this.

there we go! the bolster i can't believe i forgot but with this knife i will be using 1/8 inch thick brass and slightly thinner nickle silver sheet that will be stacked alternately to form the handguard/ bolster have you ever seen this done before?

Yes, it's not uncommon in custom knives and layered fittings go back at least to the migration era, say 500 A.D..

Will you silver solder them together or just use compression?

I had a student back in the mid 80's who liked to stack brass and copper and solder them together and then make blade fittings from the result.

Also look into Mokume which is sort of a non-ferrous pattern welding that makes very pretty fittings.

after i ran off to class today i remembered what i meant originally and i wasnt talking about the bolsters what i meant was the center section that will surround the tang (thats just brass) and then the wood handle on either side. thanks for all the comments and info guys maybe ill get to finish the drawfiling today :/

I like the blade. I assume you're going to clean up the back of the ricasso where you still have the remnants of the slots that you cut with the angle grinder, when you were cutting out the tang? Just remember that you don't want those shoulders square.

I like the blade. I assume you're going to clean up the back of the ricasso where you still have the remnants of the slots that you cut with the angle grinder, when you were cutting out the tang? Just remember that you don't want those shoulders square.

yeah ill be rounding out the shoulders today and dressing up that cut out area pics will be coming soon

Areas of the blade that are flat and full thickness generally don't add to the utility but do add to the weight.

Putting a lot of brass in the handle can add to the weight too. A slim elegant blade will often be a much better carry than a clunker!

ill show in the next progress pic but i left the fore part of the blade thinner and of course the thickest part near the ricasso but with the blade shape i wanted to give it more chopping power on that first inside curve and then the better cutting edge on the fore part of the blade...im putting the brass in the handle (because of the hidden tang) so that it has enough weight that when you chop into something it wont spring back up at the person chopping....just my thoughts on it but im a new knife maker so if im wrong please correct me :)

ok guys well i started on the other side and unfortunately i wasnt able to get the "curves" to match exactly im not quite sure how to fix it at this point so if you guys know anything any info is welcome! but look wise and edge wise it (at least to me) is coming along fairly well. a lot of these photos are fairly similar but let me know what you guys think

post-8703-085406100 1279914271_thumb.jpg

post-8703-032220400 1279914308_thumb.jpg

post-8703-013599700 1279914339_thumb.jpg

post-8703-040329800 1279914369_thumb.jpg

post-8703-079341100 1279914400_thumb.jpg

post-8703-064637900 1279914447_thumb.jpg

post-8703-051962400 1279914463_thumb.jpg

post-8703-065586900 1279914485_thumb.jpg

post-8703-035840800 1279914526_thumb.jpg