I Forge Iron

New old guy

StPat

Welcome to the site.

See the Blueprint BP0300 to get some ideas. My suggestion is to start, build a simple forge and put a fire in it. While you are playing in the new fire, you can get a feel for things, and decide what you want in a 2nd forge.

A simple forge should serve you well and allow you to tell some great stories later. When I started blacksmithing ......

Over the weekend, I saw a nice pan forge with blower for $100, a heavy duty forge at $350, a 5" post vise weighing maybe 75# for $100, and a 175# anvil for $200. The anvil was not in perfect condition but was certainly usable. With a bag of coal you could have a nice set up for about $400 or with a larger and heavier forge the set up would be $700.

All these items can be purchased brand new.

Hello there and welcome 2 the forum :)
If you look at the gallery pictures you will see many forges designs. Making a forge is quite easy...depending on what you need it for. I've made so far around 5..6 diferent forges and experimented with them ...I right now ...use a propane forge (just because it's not messy like a coal forge and i don't get so dirty). You will need some fire bricks (terracotta) a big Tank (the bigger it is it won't catch ICE) and a burner... you can private me and i'll show you some scheches or you can find me on chat some times !
Good luck

Thanks for the warm welcoms, I'll probably build a propane forge, am looking and researching where to get the supplies,(refractory matl, Koawool, etc.) I have a lathe, welders and most hand tools, so hope I'll be able to get one together.
Thanks again, Patrick