I Forge Iron

Just Starting out

The JHM anvil line is excellent; they are cast steel, machined, and checked to ensure the castings have integrity (no voids) then heat treated to about 56 Rockwell. I have the 120 Journeyman Round Horn model and I love it. It was recommended by my mentor and i have not regretted the purchase.

Yeah I am currently looking at a 110# anvil, it is a wrought iron with a steel face. I read that it is decent. If the face has some rust is that a problem?

No, it is not a problem. Start using it and the rust will soon be gone.

Be aware, with the type of anvil you have, NEVER strike cold steel on your anvil. Such activity could cause the hard steel face to seperate from the wrought iron body, leading to all kinds of unhappiness.

If the rusting is severe, a cup wire brush on an angle grinder will clean it quickly.
Before doing any other work to your anvil though, please research the subject thoroughly, here on IFI, using the search feature.

Thanks everyone you pretty much sole me on getting that one, just thought I would pass along a bit of a find I made. Mid West Farrier Supplies out of Illinois sells that particular anvil for $568.00, other places I saw sold it for over 800. Not exactly sure why they are so much less but seems to be a great deal nonetheless.

I have been doing that and I will continue to do so, but at least I know a place I can get one that is both good and relatively inexpensive. The guy that is helping me out recommended that I get at least a 150 lb anvil and all the ones I have seen on Craigs list are either too small or too far away and do not ship.

The 120 or 125 would be fine for a starter anvil (and cheaper probably.) If you are going to be doing general blacksmithing, the round horn model would be better than the farrier style which have a flatter top on the horn. Be aware that the anvil face can be marked if you mis -strike which will probably happen a lot when you are learning hammer control. For that reason, you might consider a used anvil so you don't feel bad about the dents in something you paid a lot of money for. Good luck!