I Forge Iron

Repair Wilton Vise

Tim McCoy

I found a Wilton vise at yard sale for $5 ... it's an undercounter mount woodworkers vise I believe. All parts there and in very good shape ... but the vice will not screw open/shut. I can push/pull the vise open/closed. Took it apart and as you will see in the photos the acme type threaded rod goes into a large "nut" that is threaded on one side only internally ... there is a fat pin that is held in place with a spring clip - it does not move at this time ... I've soaked it in WD-40. I am guessing that the fat pin somehow holds the "nut" (is it really a follower or block?) to one side thus allowing the device to move open/closed. This "nut" remains within the bracket seen in second photo - it acts as a retaining device. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

post-10988-026440100 1278300093_thumb.jp

post-10988-052420700 1278300119_thumb.jp

post-10988-057444500 1278300136_thumb.jp

post-10988-024436700 1278300171_thumb.jp

post-10988-043926100 1278300195_thumb.jp

I have two of those wilton vices. One came with a solid acme nut so you open and close it like a normal vice and the other is like yours. It screws closed like normal vices but when you back off the handle to loosen it the nut releases from the threaded shaft and it will allow the jaw to slide in or out until tightening the screw. I can take mine apart and take pics if you need. You might look into molasses for rust removal also.
Rob

Fosterob

Thanks - I want to make sure I understand correctly - this thing is not broken. I will reassemble it tomorrow and when I tighten it it will screw in and when I turn the handle the other way to loosen it it will just release and I can slide the jaws apart ... how cool is that :D

Right, the nut is called a half nut. In order to work properly, the mechanism must be lubricated well, and the nut free-moving. Usualy when turning the handle counter-clockwise, the nut will disengage. When turned clockwise, the half nut will rotate and fall onto the thread rod, utilizing gravity to some degree. When severly worn out, the half nut will bounce over the threads rather than gripping them.

• 1 year later...

Hi
Strange request: what does the short metal dowel in the nut look like? Particularly the face where the dowel hits the screw. I was given a couple of wilton wood working vises with similar rapid nuts, but none have the metal dowel in the nut. The spring is there, but no metal dowel. I am sure i can fabricate one if i know what it looks like. I assume it may have threads cut in it or just flat and ride on the screw.
thanks in advance

Peter

• 6 months later...

My very old Wilton Wood under bench Vise stopped working this semester and lubrication didn't weem to work.  I removed the roll pin at the end of the Acme lead screw and slid the whole assembly out of the main casting.  The threads in the nut were completly filled with dust, metal and wood I assume.  Cleaned, lubed and because the spring felt a little weak, I placed a small washer between the spring and pressure rod.  Reassembled and WOW.  Better than ever.

• 2 years later...

Just found this site and I am also the proud recipient of two of these vises.  Can anyone tell me what the "pin" under the leaf spring is supposed to look like?  I just disassembled mine and they are flat (shiny)!?  I was expecting some kind of an angular "tip" to engage the threaded portion of the vise.  Am totally at a loss here as I cannot find this part anywhere.  But then again, maybe this is what it is supposed to be?

Wally

• 2 weeks later...