I Forge Iron

Forge of July weekend

I made a few bbq tools this weekend, I used 3/8 x 1 flat bar 6 inches long. I draw a long taper, leaving enough material to make the fork, then slit and drift for the bottle opener and slit and draw out the fork. I still need to work on the fork, it is not easy to get a nice point without burning up or forging too cold and have it split on you. Also I need to rig up kiss blocks on my powerhammer to keep the thickness consistent
post-10376-076878700 1278253320_thumb.jppost-10376-030285900 1278253327_thumb.jp

Ya Brian that is a fork that you made, (nothing gets by you) and it is the model for the forks that I am making, I have a ways to go before I will get one that is as nice. here is the picture of Brian's fork, very nice, and also the guy that ordered the fork never forked over the money so now it is my fork
post-10376-017952600 1278258236_thumb.jp
And thank you for the help on the bottle opener that I made in miss. I never knew that drifting to 1 inch makes the perfect opener they work perfect every time now, I test each one myself

]
And thank you for the help on the bottle opener that I made in miss. I never knew that drifting to 1 inch makes the perfect opener they work perfect every time now, I test each one myself

That is a key tidbit of information. Thanks
Phil

I took a forge on a 5 day SCA campout in CO over the forge of July weekend. Forged a bunch! Weirdest item was making small band clips for a cooper used to keep the bands from dropping down as a bucket or barrel dries out. short (1/4-3/8") nail with a bent over flat head---made them from election sign wire and was a real learning experience making tapers that short!---real edge of the anvil work.

Oh I was using a Y1K forge: 2 single action bellows blowing into the side of a mud forge burning charcoal; also using my dandy Roman-F&I war travel anvil!