I Forge Iron

air hammer

junker

not enough power?

Not enough long term power in the arms of the person holding it. :(

If you want to try something like this then do a Google search on "chipping hammer".These were pneumatic guns used in shipyards to cut off things like rivet heads(heading rivets too) and attachments to hull structure.They look like scaled down jack hammers with a D handle on the end.The old "Rosy the Riveter" poster had her pictured with one.
As a long time former operator of one of these I can say from personal experience that they attack the user as much as the work,it just takes more time.Ask any of the DRs/surgeons who worked on me.
When one of these was at work in the bow of a Navy destroyer you would know it at the stern,even with a full crew working during a normal work day.You could hear it and feel it thru your feet.
Still think it`s a good idea?

so one of the small ones like for automobile work wouldn't work?

Yes, it will work, it has been done before, it just will not move a lot of metal very fast.

Find a big chipping hammer like Mainely Bob is talking about, but don't bother holding it in your hands, mount it over your anvil.

Not enough long term power in the arms of the person holding it. :(

If you want to try something like this then do a Google search on "chipping hammer".These were pneumatic guns used in shipyards to cut off things like rivet heads(heading rivets too) and attachments to hull structure.They look like scaled down jack hammers with a D handle on the end.The old "Rosy the Riveter" poster had her pictured with one.
As a long time former operator of one of these I can say from personal experience that they attack the user as much as the work,it just takes more time.Ask any of the DRs/surgeons who worked on me.
When one of these was at work in the bow of a Navy destroyer you would know it at the stern,even with a full crew working during a normal work day.You could hear it and feel it thru your feet.
Still think it`s a good idea?

That'll be these beasties you're talking about Bob. They sure do attack you back, but boy are they useful for a one man band workshop when doing big rivets etc, especially one with no room to swing a cat let alone a sledge. They're definitely in my top tens tools

post-11205-027979800 1278083932_thumb.jp

post-11205-056660300 1278084277_thumb.jp

post-11205-066884800 1278084366_thumb.jp

That'll be these beasties you're talking about Bob. They sure do attack you back, but boy are they useful for a one man band workshop when doing big rivets etc, especially one with no room to swing a cat let alone a sledge. They're definitely in my top tens tools

Them be da ones!!
Easy to make tooling for too.An experienced hand can peel a foundation off a deck faster(in about 1/2 the time) than the welder could put it down.
Those welders are notoriously slow though. ;)

Be careful about how many hours you spend behind them.Medical science has proven that they cause things like nerve damage and bone loss with long term use.I`ve got the scars to prove it and know a lot of others who do too.We hold meetings in the orthopedic wings of large hospitals,I`m a card carrying member of the Boston chapter.

Hey David, is that a new gate? Any luck on finding a larger shop?

Them be da ones!!
Easy to make tooling for too.An experienced hand can peel a foundation off a deck faster(in about 1/2 the time) than the welder could put it down.
Those welders are notoriously slow though. ;)

Be careful about how many hours you spend behind them.Medical science has proven that they cause things like nerve damage and bone loss with long term use.I`ve got the scars to prove it and know a lot of others who do too.We hold meetings in the orthopedic wings of large hospitals,I`m a card carrying member of the Boston chapter.

Good advice there Bob ... as ever!

Yeah, got I've got real healthy respect for them and only use them infrequently in small doses

Kinda got an early waring a few years back using a 7x aircraft fitters gun doing 1/4 stainless rivets COLD and holding a few kg bucking bar in the other hand. Arm muscles just ACHED for weeks afterwards. That said I just love all air tools .... their power to weight ratio never fails to impress me.

Hey David, is that a new gate? Any luck on finding a larger shop?

Hi Danger

The gates are a few years old now I just posted them to show a job with loads of big (3/4") rivets. Them guns just EAT them up

The last job just seemed to go on and on. Photos give an indication. Now I've got more time I'll start a thread about it and start posting again.

Nearly moved into a new workshop. Why are estae agents such slimy ****ers and tell you what you want to hear. He assured me there was 3 phase next door I could hook upto. Guess what .... there wasn't. Looks like it'll be next year before I get chance to move now cos of ongoing work.

Your bronze wings sure are looking good!

post-11205-084792600 1278165151_thumb.jp post-11205-054971400 1278165156_thumb.jp