I Forge Iron

Forging nails 1 1/2'' stock

I decided to see what my comonsense powerhammer would do with 1 1/2'' stock. This is a #2 Comonsense hammer (75 lb), it handled the material well in two heats I was able to get the nails drawn out to 18 - 20 inches, now I just need to round up a couple of strikers and finish heading them off. Here is a link to the video
http://picasaweb.goo...197015738032834
This was alot of fun now I need to find some more material, here are a few pictures. I used 6 inches of material to make the nails, leaving about 1 3/4 inches for the head
post-10376-034253700 1277826886_thumb.jppost-10376-059440600 1277826892_thumb.jppost-10376-084904200 1277826898_thumb.jppost-10376-099225500 1277826904_thumb.jp

Why NOT Keith? How about I don't have a big enough claw hammer?

Nice work Clinton, making a header will be a good project as well but should only take a little 1" plate and a little punching and drifting. Making the claw hammer might be a challenge though.:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

I can use my swage block to do the heading, in two weeks we are having a family reunion and I plan to get my dad, my uncle and my brother over here to do the striking, then we each get a nail to take home, should be fun
And yes it is fun to beat metal into submission, I will be doing that today in fact

Well, seeing as I now have a power hammer I think using it to forge a suitabley sized claw hammer is the natural thing to do. Heck, I think using the power hammer for any darned thing requiring impact energies is the natural thing to do.B)

For instance, how many of us as youngsters around Christmas time felt challenged getting to the meat in a Brazil nut?:unsure: I'm thinking that with a little practice a 50lb. Little Giant is the PERFECT solution. Heck, you can even make custom picks so not one little bit gets away! Seriously, is there a better solution? A nicely restored LG would even look good next to the Christmas tree, heck REALLY GOOD!:)

Use the power hammer is the blacksmith's answer to ANY stubborn problem! It doesn't even affect the old adage about getting a BIGGER hammer!;)

Frosty the Lucky.