I Forge Iron

want some opinions on my forge.

drako

Ok so i have never blacksmith in my life but i thought it would be cool to get in to so i started to build a forge about a week ago this is what i got so far. its a work in progress i still need to finish up the stand and i need a blower i am not really sure what to use also i need to get a few more pipes. also do you guys and or gals think that a 2in pipe is enough air flow for its size

any other recommendations on things i should do.

DSC_2516.jpg

DSC_2520.jpg

DSC_2527.jpg

DSC_2530.jpg

DSC_2539.jpg

Ok so i have never blacksmith in my life but i thought it would be cool to get in to so i started to build a forge about a week ago this is what i got so far. its a work in progress i still need to finish up the stand and i need a blower i am not really sure what to use also i need to get a few more pipes. also do you guys and or gals think that a 2in pipe is enough air flow for its size

any other recommendations on things i should do.

DSC_2516.jpg

DSC_2520.jpg

DSC_2527.jpg

DSC_2530.jpg

DSC_2539.jpg

yeah i would make it a little shallower but its lookn good :)

drako, You've got the right idea, but it looks a bit too deep, and a 3" hole and piping would be better.

what will it hurt if i leave it deep it is only about 5 inch deep it looks deeper in the pic it would be a lot of work to cut it down. i also still need to make the coal catch witch will make it a little bit shallower.

also if i went to a 3 inch pipe what would you recommend to use.

Some of it depends on the fuel you intend to use. That looks just fine to me for charcoal. For coal you probably don't need that deep.
The problem with the size of pipe (again fine for charcoal) is that the blast will be stronger for a given amount of air flow. You may find you either blow your fuel out of the fire pit or you may have problems getting hot enough for some things.

Since you're just starting, have you looked around the ABANA site for a local affliate? You may find you are just around the corner from a lot of blacksmiths.

ron

When you stick a piece of steel in the fire you generally want it to be pretty much horizontal through the neutral/reducing part of the fire---*especially* if you are wanting to forge a blade.

Where this part is depends on fuel, fuel size and air supply (force, amount distribution, etc) It's something you need to learn for every forge you use as they will all differ a bit.

So can you get a piece of steel the size you want to work in horizontally? If so it's fine! If not you can always build up the bottom a bit until you get what works for *you*!

• 3 weeks later...