I Forge Iron

Drill Press Pulley Replacement

I have a nine-speed Enco floor-standing drill press, and I'm pretty happy with it. I would, however, like to get it to turn a little slower, so I can bore some bigger holes. Right now, the slowest speed is 165 RPM, if I remember correctly.

I figured I'd just change out the pulley stack on one side, perhaps getting one that was larger than current. I know that it would no longer use the same belt, and I'd have to buy a new one. Since I don't change speeds that much, I'm not too worried about it.

Anyone know where a good source for pulleys is? I'm assuming that I could measure shaft diameter, pulley cross section, and go from there.

One of this years changes to my shop will be replacement of the motor on my mill with a variable speed. It is a time consuming ordeal to move belts and it will be easy with a dial on the controller. No it will not be as inexpensive as a pulley or two and new belt, But it will make life easier and I can run the correct spindle speed for each operation.

One of this years changes to my shop will be replacement of the motor on my mill with a variable speed. It is a time consuming ordeal to move belts and it will be easy with a dial on the controller. No it will not be as inexpensive as a pulley or two and new belt, But it will make life easier and I can run the correct spindle speed for each operation.

That's really interesting. Where are you getting the motor and switches?

I have a nine-speed Enco floor-standing drill press, and I'm pretty happy with it. I would, however, like to get it to turn a little slower, so I can bore some bigger holes. Right now, the slowest speed is 165 RPM, if I remember correctly.

I figured I'd just change out the pulley stack on one side, perhaps getting one that was larger than current. I know that it would no longer use the same belt, and I'd have to buy a new one. Since I don't change speeds that much, I'm not too worried about it.

Anyone know where a good source for pulleys is? I'm assuming that I could measure shaft diameter, pulley cross section, and go from there.

The existing pulleys on your drill press are matched to each other so that when you move the belt from one speed to another the belt tension is maintained. If you replace either pulley with a random pulley, the different steps (speeds) will all require different length belts, in other words, you will have to adjust the motor mounts to take up belt slack every time you change speeds.

A variable speed motor or speed controller would be great but a jackshaft between the two existing pulleys is the most practical choice considering it is an Enco (taiwan) drill press.