I Forge Iron

Another Hay Budden Serial Number Please

I just bought a Hay Budden Anvil

146.6 lbs weighed by seller. (marked with crooked 147 in middle of waist weld-which I believe was weight)

It is marked with serial 175938 (I think this is 1910 by looking at other threads) Can someone confirm this?

It has a 5 under the horn. Anybody know what this is?

Marked with 62 opposite Hay Budden Stamp. Any guess what this is?

I think this anvil has a solid tool steel top half welded to a wrought iron base. Is this true?

Just an FYI-- I paid $400 about $2.75 a lb. --a reasonable price I think --any thoughts?

thanks for any help,
Russ

175938 is indeed 1910. Mr. Postman thinks the number on the front of the waist is an inspector code, while the number stamped on the opposite side from the name stamping is a steel mill code for the source of steel for the anvil.

Hay Budden started converting over to the top half being tool steel with a wrought iron base in 1907, and it's thought that pretty much all of them were of this type of construction by 1909.

• 6 months later...

I just bought a Hay Budden Anvil

146.6 lbs weighed by seller. (marked with crooked 147 in middle of waist weld-which I believe was weight)

It is marked with serial 175938 (I think this is 1910 by looking at other threads) Can someone confirm this?

It has a 5 under the horn. Anybody know what this is?

Marked with 62 opposite Hay Budden Stamp. Any guess what this is?

I think this anvil has a solid tool steel top half welded to a wrought iron base. Is this true?

Just an FYI-- I paid $400 about $2.75 a lb. --a reasonable price I think --any thoughts?

thanks for any help,
Russ

Hey Russ,

About 8-10 yrs ago there was a feed store in CDA (can't recall the name) that had coal. I don't think it was Aslin Finch but someone at AF might be able to assist you.
Best.

Geoff

From up North in Sandpoint. Need Coal too if you know of a supplier up north.

The Feed and Farm Store, N 6265 Government Way, Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814. Farrier and blacksmithing supplies and coal.
Mark Solomon, 1020 S. Main, Moscow, ID 83843. TEL: (208) 882-6549.

THAT'S THE STORE! I found while surfing around other blacksmithing sites (anvil fire has a list of coal suppliers by state).

So no excuses now IdahoIronman!

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Postman's date table is approximate, but yours shows the 1914 range. HB marked the actual weight, not hundredweights. If it weighs 200 pounds, it is going to be about 34" long, based on my personal experience. Farrier's anvils did not have a cutting table, because unlike the smiths' pattern, the horn swell takes place in that area.. The semi-circular projection is called a clip horn, used for drawing thin clips off the outer web of the horseshoe.

• 6 years later...

Welcome aboard Lisa, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

Someone with a copy of Anvils In America will be along shortly to give you what info they can, I'm sure. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok looks like it might be 1910 based on one of the previous replies above also with a serial #175XXX (if that's how it works with their #'s).  Also has a 62 stamped on the oppososite side of the name stamp, also looks like a T-#4 or something similar (can't quite make it out) below the waist on the name stamp side, and either a 3 or an 8 on the front base.