I Forge Iron

Best/Good Torch set up?

jgourlay

Looking at getting an oxy/acetylene torch setup. I want something that will allow me to go from FIRE LOTS OF FIRE!!! down to the little pencil point flame.

Who makes a good one? I see a bunch out there, but anytime I see wide variations in prices, and names like "Generico" I know it's the type of tool where it's easy to get burned (harr harr harr).

What brand(s) do you all recommend? What are some "watch our fors"?

What's the general set of tips/accessories you all would recommend? I don't by the way, plan on doing anything like cutting 1/2" plate. 1/4" maybe. I do plan on using it for melting (very) small heats of silver/bronze/brass for casting, some cutting of steels, heating up/melting of glass (general mischief), brazing copper tubing, things like that.

I have a Harris welding and cutting set that I got well used in about 1965. It is all I need and I have used it a lot. If I were to replace it today I would likely buy a Victor set as the dealer I go to has them and I can expect service/replacements or additions at any time in the future. Get a basic set. Youshould heave a Cutting head with a couple of tips that will cut this stuff up to one inch or so. Welding tips should start at 00 or maybe 000 and go up to a 3 or 4. The dealer will know the capabilities of each of them. Since this seems to be a new area to you get a small set and then add to it in the future as you find needs. With a big set of tanks and either buying or making a cart to carry it on this is a sizable investment. It is not a place to cut corners by buying an off brand or one that you cannot get repaired or additions to. Enjoy

I have used torches all my life just about. Used them all and hands down I like the Victor brand. Get the combination torch so you can use welding tips w/ the handle. You can go all the way down to a 000 size for pin point flame up to great big ones for welding or heating. You can get a Victor serviced just about anywhere and find tips easily.

I have 2 victor journeyman sets that I have had for years. Used to carry one on the truck and keep the other in the shop. They have both served me well and as others have stated you can get parts and supplies at about any reputable welding supply. A victor is well worth the initial cash layout.

JWB

Guess it's like Ford/Chevy. I have an OLD victor torch. Regulators wouldn't rebuild finally and I bought a Smith set. I'm really pleased. I've had a Dillon/Henrob torch with a Smith gas saver for several years now. Gas welding is part of my business but the Henrob is really sweet compared to standard torch. I use plasma for large part ( 99 % ) to cut ( or chopsaw ).I did save the rosebud from the Victor set and use it occasionally. torch still good but needed regulators. As a side note, if you aren't familiar with torches or bottles you need to get educated ( I mean in school ).

Victor or Smith. I have Smith. Went through two or three of the big box store torch sets before I bit the bullet, went to the regular welding supply store, and asked them to set me up with a good outfit. The Smith was the result. A knowledgeable guy at the welding store will be a great help. I make a point of buying my stuff there, knowing that I'll be counting on them for advice and stuff all along.

There's a table in the book - I'm sure Victor has an equivalent - that shows all the cutting and welding tips and what size material they're meant for. So you pick tips by deciding that you want to cut, say, 1/4 stock and then you pick the tip that matches. Actually I've found I only need about every other or every third cutting tip size and I can still cut the in between sizes just fine. Now one other really great thing was a small Purox torch that came with a load of other stuff I won in an auction. That little torch has just been the greatest thing for working on smaller stuff...

Steve

#1--Victor, it a toss-up as far as #2&3 go Harris or Smith. All three are excellent torches and will serve you well. Cyl. bottles are expensive if you purchase them. 4yrs ago I bought my ox-acy bottles for $325.00, that for the pair and they are the small bottles. I have since found them at 2 differant garage sales and now have 3 complete sets. (Paid $130 for 1 and $75.00 for the other, bottles included!) GET EDUCATED!! examples: there is a proper way to open an oxygen bottle, it will save your life if you do it right! Also proper storage of bottles. If you build your own cart you need to put a divider between the bottles that extends above the gauges. Good luck and BE SAFE!!!

The proper way to use your oxy-acet. tanks is first make sure the oxygen gauge is pionting in a downward angle. I've seen alot of gauges pionting up so that it' easier to read but if the threads on the bolt ever let go you'll get it right in the face! I also see alot of guys shutting ther tanks off improperly. When you shut off your torch you close the acetylene valve on the torch first and then the oxygen valve on the torch. Then shut off the acetylene tank and then the oxygen tank. Now open up the acetylene valve and bleed the line and then do the same to the oxygen valve. The last step is to back off on the regulators of both tanks so that they just turn freely.