I Forge Iron

Does anyone know....?

Does anyone know how thick the tool steel top on Hill anvils usually is? I know I could check for the weld line and measure it, however the anvil is at my Mom's in the states and I'm in Ontario. I'm just trying to plan what I will need to do to repair the anvil to be worked on at the end of summer.
Thanks for any help.
Aaron

Hi Aaron- I had a Hill for a while, the top seemed to be around 1/2" thick. However, I think that they are older than your average anvil and may have lots of variation (and wear). If you're thinking of grinding the top read all the threads on doing that to an anvil posted here. post-6738-071592400 1276860786_thumb.jpg

I have read alot of the posts about grinding on an anvil. I bought the anvil at night time under a yellowish light in a storage unit. Then the next day realised that the top has a fair bit of sway. Just want to be prepared when I start using it end of summer/start of fall as I won't have much time except for the expected work I am going to be doing. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes, or maybe just get a flat cast iron plate for straightening for the scrap yard.
Thanks

Leave the sway and learn to love it! Get a chunk of *worn* RR rail for straightening. Hard flat and well within "straight"---though I do most of my straightening on anvils that do have sway as it's a lot easier if you can push it a bit beyond straight so the bounce back is to dead straight!