I Forge Iron

seax-ish, p-weld with maple sheath

Hello Everyone,
I am posting pics of a seax-like thing and a matching maple sheath. This was made to replace the seax that was stolen in the mail. I have found a UPS store where I can trust the people to actually send my packages.

I felt bad for the guy who paid me and got ripped-off, so I made this for him.

Yes, I have been on a seax trend. 2 reasons - 1, they are from my favorite historical period, and 2, they are the only thing people keep offering me money to make for them. My press should be shipped this week, and I need some cash to catch up.

That being said, this is actually the best I have ever done with fit and finish, though it lacks some.

I bought some maple and walnut (this is the maple) from a luthier's supply. This let me make the handle and scabbard by chiseling and routing and then gluing the halves together. For me, this was a lot better. It was more precise than drilling through a block. (thanks to Walter Sorrells and Jesus Hernandez for posting the info on their websites that led me to do things this way).

This knife is very, very beefy. 11" blade, 1.5" wide.

Spine is 15n20 and 1080, rest of blade is two more bars of mono 1080.

copper spacers to match the copper on sheath (I found a use for my old heating pipes!).

One big mistake, I cut the handle so that the stripes of the chatoyance run the length of the handle rather than across it. So, it does not look as vibrant as the sheath.
Big OOPS there.

Hopefully, the next one will be a high layer count type of p-weld (cause of my press).

Thanks for looking. Comments are welcomed.

Kevin

post-6461-028199000 1276669159_thumb.jpg

post-6461-007955400 1276669166_thumb.jpg

post-6461-045504600 1276669173_thumb.jpg

post-6461-056161000 1276669182_thumb.jpg