I Forge Iron

Out door anvil and Condensation

So I'm just starting to put together my shop and was planning on having it under a covered car port but noticed that on occasion there was condensation and subsequently superficial rust spots on my anvils. Would it be best just to have the anvils remain indoors? Suggestions?

Nothing to get all worked up about, it's an anvil after all. Paint the non working surfaces, and don't worry about rust, it will polish right up as soon as you start using it. It will also develop a patina after awhile. All of my anvils sit outside uncovered.

Nothing to get all worked up about, it's an anvil after all. Paint the non working surfaces, and don't worry about rust, it will polish right up as soon as you start using it. It will also develop a patina after awhile. All of my anvils sit outside uncovered.

Cover your work anvil surface with an oiled rag when you are not using it.
And like Big Gun said - don't worry about it, it's an anvil.
Rust spots aren't going to hurt it.

I have 6 anvils that are stored outside year around, they are kept clean and rust-free by spraying whem with WD40 and covering them with a cloth towel or rag and weighting it down so the wind will not blow it off. I buy WD40 in Gallon cans from my local hardware store where it is cheeper than the spray cans and use a hand pump sprayer.