I Forge Iron

Looking for interest in copper,brass,stainless, bar ends

BIGGUNDOCTOR

I work for a screw-machine shop where one of our byproducts are bar ends. These are the part of the 12' bars that cannot be fed through the machine, and are normally sold as scrap. They run around 7" long, but can be longer at times. We occasionally also have full 12' bars that we cannot use due to being bent, or other problems.

The materials we use are C97, and other copper alloys, 360 brass for the most part, various stainless steels mostly 303/304, occasionally some aluminum, and lots of M25/M65 copper beryllium (2% max Be).

Sizes will run from .0625" up to 1.00". We mostly work with .500 and under, and a lot of odd sizes 32's,64's, and MM's. With the price of copper over $10 a # now we try to get as close to finished size as possible.

I have purchased scrap in the past for projects, and as long as the owner gets current scrap price he doesn't care how much I buy. We literally generate tons of scrap a month including the chips. Unless I can get the ends right off the machine, I can't sort for a specific alloy IE;303/304.

I am thinking that these could be used for knife pins, jewelery, small parts, lathe stock, punches, forge stock, and whatever else you can think of. I can include some safety info with the copper beryllium stock. CuBe alloys are heat treatable,and are very strong-knife pins,punches,small hammer heads,etc. It will also be way less than the $23 a # we pay for new.

Not sure how to break it up for size due to so many sizes, or I could just do a mix for x$ a pound per type. If there is a specific size/type that you are looking for I can watch the machines to see what is running, and let the operators know to save them for me. They are doing that for the bigger sizes already.

USPS flat rate boxes work good for these.

Brian,
any particular sizes? Small 1/16-3/16, med 7/32-7/16,large 1/2+ (not that common, but I will see what we have). I will check with the boss to see what he needs, may take a couple of days, as we are in the midst of an AS9100 audit/certification.

Brian,
any particular sizes? Small 1/16-3/16, med 7/32-7/16,large 1/2+ (not that common, but I will see what we have). I will check with the boss to see what he needs, may take a couple of days, as we are in the midst of an AS9100 audit/certification.

I would only be interested in larger sizes round or square or rectangular with a 1:3 ratio at the most extreme (1/4"x 3/4", 1/2"x 1 1/2"). I forge copper and silver hot just like steel, and the more extreme rectangles colapse too easily. I am not in any hurry, and if you don't deal with those profiles that's okay. I really appreciate your offer. Thank you, BIGGUNDOCTOR.

Round is all we have in copper. The only shapes I have seen are some hex in Stainless. In a lot of cases we will mill a square, hex, etc out of round, as that cuts down on tooling needed to set the machine up. We have parts that require .0002" tolerances, and it is easier to hold that with round than shaped material. Our stock usually has less than .001" of variation in diameter the entire length. The Swiss turning method is just the opposite of what I am familiar with. In this case the tools are stationary(just moving in,and out) and the stock is fed past the cutters, usually at full depth.

I will see what we have in 1/2" and up.

I work for a screw-machine shop where one of our byproducts are bar ends. These are the part of the 12' bars that cannot be fed through the machine, and are normally sold as scrap. They run around 7" long, but can be longer at times. We occasionally also have full 12' bars that we cannot use due to being bent, or other problems.

The materials we use are C97, and other copper alloys, 360 brass for the most part, various stainless steels mostly 303/304, occasionally some aluminum, and lots of M25/M65 copper beryllium (2% max Be).

Sizes will run from .0625" up to 1.00". We mostly work with .500 and under, and a lot of odd sizes 32's,64's, and MM's. With the price of copper over $10 a # now we try to get as close to finished size as possible.

I have purchased scrap in the past for projects, and as long as the owner gets current scrap price he doesn't care how much I buy. We literally generate tons of scrap a month including the chips. Unless I can get the ends right off the machine, I can't sort for a specific alloy IE;303/304.

I am thinking that these could be used for knife pins, jewelery, small parts, lathe stock, punches, forge stock, and whatever else you can think of. I can include some safety info with the copper beryllium stock. CuBe alloys are heat treatable,and are very strong-knife pins,punches,small hammer heads,etc. It will also be way less than the $23 a # we pay for new.

Not sure how to break it up for size due to so many sizes, or I could just do a mix for x$ a pound per type. If there is a specific size/type that you are looking for I can watch the machines to see what is running, and let the operators know to save them for me. They are doing that for the bigger sizes already.

USPS flat rate boxes work good for these.

I would be interested in some copper, the purer the better as I want to melt it down and alloy it myself. Just let me know the cost of a flat rate box. Thanks! Larry