I Forge Iron

New 50kg(110#) cast steel anvil

I bought a brand new cast steel anvil on ebay.com.au. It arrived during this week and I just finished making a stand out of 8"x2".
It has a very nice ring.
The hardy hole is 22mm and the pritchel hole is 20 mm cast through. I had to strip the paint off the beak which I did with a flap disk in my baby grinder.
I am very happy.

Here are some pictures,
P1000091.jpg
P1000088.jpg

Thanks for the advice Monstermetal. I did a fair bit of searching last night to try and decide hwo to dress the edges. I read somewhere on IFI that I should just break the edge and then use it for a while. It is easier to take more off than try and put some back on. I will eventually radius one edge or part of both.

Geoff

I have no idea who the manufacturer is. Could be produced locally in Australia.

It is squat but that gives a wider face for the mass that I have. My wife says it looks like a boat not like a real anvil. :)

The ring is well under control now that I have spikes holding it down. Without them it was loud.

The 'stump' is hollow. Only 3 sides actually. I left the other side open so that I have access to the hardy hole from the bottom. If something gets stuck I don't want to have to pull the spikes to be able to whack it from the bottom.

The height is just above knuckle dragging height. I like it that little bit higher. I found that recommended height was a little lower than I felt comfortable. I think I am about mid palm to wrist height. I do knives and small stuff so the height does not tire my arm out.

Thanks for the link to radiusing on anvil fire I'll check that out.

Any other advice will be listened to but not always taken. :)

When I was doing a lot of 19th century demos; I found a hollow log to use as my stump---much lighter to transport and still kept the "look".

Squat is *good*!

I've been eyeing those up for a while now. Please let us know how it holds up under use - should be good I think. I have a feeling Forgemaster has one too.

By the way, where in Oz are you?

By the way, where in Oz are you?

I am in Warragul, Gippsland, Victoria. About 100km East of Melbourne.

Yes I also like squat.

I foudn out I need to improve my hammer control. I made a small ding in the anvil :( Really annoyed with myself. I guess I have to accept it will not always look brand new. :)

I think I've seen this anvil before on a web search.
I think they're coming out of China.

NOPE!
My mistake ... apparently I was thinking about a different anvil coming out of China.
But I have seen this anvil style before - I just can't remember where.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ANVILS-CAST-ALLOY-STEEL-FORGE-QUALITY-50kg-/300428769448?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agriculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item45f2f338a8

The ad is not very helpful on the pedigree of the anvil. But what a steal for a cast steel hardened anvil!
Phil

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ANVILS-CAST-ALLOY-STEEL-FORGE-QUALITY-50kg-/300428769448?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agriculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item45f2f338a8

The ad is not very helpful on the pedigree of the anvil. But what a steal for a cast steel hardened anvil!
Phil

If it really is hardened steel -- and it sure sounds like it is -- then that's a heck of a deal. I'm not thrilled about the hardy arrangement, but for the money I could get used to it. That's around $240 American! I wonder what it would take to get a container of those things to the U.S.

I keep getting tempted to take a day off and do the run to Canberra to have a look at one of these. For their size they are good value BUT only if they are of good quality and at $1000 the 200kg one looks tempting but $1k is a lot of loot.

Fro that money I could pick up an O'Dwyer 90kg that I KNOW is good.

i emailed the au importer some time ago
"To answer your specific questions the anvils have the following properties:

Casting steel material: ZG45 (similar to ASTM1045 or DIN C45);
Hardness of working surface: HRC (Rockwell) 40-50 by high frequency hardening.

They are solid cast, with no voids, they have very large machined faces & "feet" to aid solid mounting, opposite & generous Hardie holes & Pritchel holes that are true & cleanly cast right thru the anvils; all at a very reasonable price & very reasonable freight rates. I palletise the larger anvils for shipment at no extra cost.

The attached document also includes some guidelines on anvil mounting & other accessories & ordering & packing & freight information.

I have sold many anvils to a wide range of crafts people including wrought iron manufacturers, general blacksmiths, knife makers, a school & an amateur farrier.

I have anvils in stock in the following sizes: 10; 30; 50; 75; 100; & 200kg, ranging in price from $68 to $1038.

Our products are also sold in Europe, including the discerning German market.

Thank you once again for your enquiry,

If I can be of further assistance, please contact me,"
the big question is "HRC (Rockwell) 40-50 by high frequency hardening"is it hard enough and what is high frequency hardening?? eny ideas.

the big question is "HRC (Rockwell) 40-50 by high frequency hardening"is it hard enough and what is high frequency hardening?? eny ideas.

RC 40 is low, though probably in the ballpark of the cast steel Russian anvils that Harbor Freight had for a while. RC 50 is a little soft by modern standards, but not terrible -- especially for the price. TFS ductile iron anvils are supposed to be around RC 52. 40-50 is a pretty big range.

By "high frequency hardening" I suspect they mean induction hardening.

• 2 weeks later...

On the question of shipping, a container load to the US, a 20-foot ISO container would gross out with around 400 anvils (a 40-footer, would take about 900).

There would be a lot of dunnage to spread the load which would probably reduce the shipment to around 350 anvils but might get you a ton of useful timber.

At the moment, a 20-foot ISO, Shanghai to Baltimore, around $6,000.00 and you get to keep the container.

Import duties, Customs and insurance - probably another $2,000.00 on top.

The real question is - "tell me, Ding Ho Manufacturing, Street Of A Thousand Foundries, how much for 350 anvils delivered to (insert name & address) FOD Baltimore (or other seaport). I will pay on confirmed receipt of the shipment". That way, they have responsibility (and risk) for getting the stuff to your door.

I bet the ex-works unit price would be less than $20 a pop.