I Forge Iron

Small diameter square bar supplier UK

I’m trying to get hold of some 5/6mm mild steel square bar to make hooks etc from, the people who I’ve been dealing with locally can only get sizes down to 10mm in full lengths. Does anyone know where I can get full lengths of these smaller diameter bars?

Try your local steel stock holders, there are some in Plymouth, or Andrews in Cornwall, if you are going to the Royal Cornwall Show, go to the metalwork feature tent down towards the Countryside area and next to the Young Farmers tent, one of their reps should be there, and would be able to tell you if they can supply or not, otherwise Austen Knapmans, Woodberry Chilcott, or Macallisters should be able to supply.

Note these small sizes are usually supplied in shorter lengths than larger sizes 3 or 4 metres rather than 6 to 7, you may also have to take bright bar as opposed to cold rolled particularly in the 5mm range

Try your local steel stock holders, there are some in Plymouth, or Andrews in Cornwall, if you are going to the Royal Cornwall Show, go to the metalwork feature tent down towards the Countryside area and next to the Young Farmers tent, one of their reps should be there, and would be able to tell you if they can supply or not, otherwise Austen Knapmans, Woodberry Chilcott, or Macallisters should be able to supply.

Note these small sizes are usually supplied in shorter lengths than larger sizes 3 or 4 metres rather than 6 to 7, you may also have to take bright bar as opposed to cold rolled particularly in the 5mm range

Thank you John, I'll try phoning round tomorrow. Unless I do make it to the show..Strange, but I've never ever been to Royal Cornwall.

Thank you John, I'll try phoning round tomorrow. Unless I do make it to the show..Strange, but I've never ever been to Royal Cornwall.

The smallest Parker Steel do in Black MS is 8mm, but they hold 6mm square MS in bright,these usually come in 3 metre lengths.
http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/Matrix/62/Bright+Square+Metric